Q. about programmers/chips - how to get back to stock - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Q. about programmers/chips - how to get back to stock

Bear with me guys, because these questions are kind of elementary:

I have a 96 PSD w/5spd. I've suspected that it was chipped or programmed, ever since I bought it a few years ago, because low end seems sluggish but top end seems over the top. Now, I realize that the turbo takes time to spool, etc, but this one seems a little too long of a wait on the bottom end, and then once it spools the thing launches.

I haven't checked the PCM to see if it's chipped, but I'm going to soon. If it is, and I simply remove the chip, will that return it to stock?

If it's programmed (I don't have the programmer), it's my understanding that a dealer has to "reflash" the PCM to get it back to stock? Is that correct? If I don't see a chip, how will I know it's programmed? Can a dealer recognize it's been programmed simply buy plugging in a diagnostic tool? I'm curious about that. Also, if it is indeed programmed, does anyone have a rough idea of what it costs to "reflash" the computer? I've heard it's kind of spendy...

One last thing - if it is indeed programmed, could I skip the dealer crap and simply buy another programmer and use it? Would it just reprogram the computer to the programmer's parameters? Or would it not work right because it would need to recognize a base line (stock), which wouldn't be there if it was already currently programmed? Or could I simply reprogram with another programmer, with the only downfall being that, even if I told the new programmer to save the stock setting, it would indeed recognize the currently modified setting and save it as "stock"?

I hope that last paragraph makes sense to some. It's hard to say what I'm trying to ask! Any advice would be appreciated. I've owned many diesels but have not messed with chips or programmers.

This all stems from two things:
1) I'm not that happy with the current performance curve
2) I'm interested in buying programmer, but need to know if I have to jump through a few hoops prior to being able to use it (due to the truck possibly already being programmed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your description sounds like my truck "without" the chip. With my chip my turbo spools almost instantly. I've not used any of the 'reprogrammers' that are out there but from my understanding you need to restore the same PCM programming code that matches your truck..... thus if you don't have the original programmer, you can't restore it to stock. Others with more experience in this area may correct me though.... I've never used any of those. I just bought a chip, plugged it in and went down the road smiling. I got out of the Ford mechanic business just before the PSDs hit the market. Based upon your description though, it sounds like it's stock. Even without my chip, at full boost my truck pulls HARD!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. It might not be programmed, but I'd like to know for sure. Hate to buy a chip/programmer, and use it and get less than desirable results due to prior stuff being messed with.

A friend of mine said the dealer could "reflash" the computer to stock, but he thought it was kind of spendy. What I would really like to know is if that dealer tech could plug into diagnostics and tell me if indeed it was already programmed. Not sure if they can do that or not.

Any and all advice on this will be appreciated... (look at my first post in the thread). Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 AM

First off, you've got a '96. There's no reason for you to go to a Dealer for OBD work. You've got OBD II in your truck. As for the PCM, it might be cheaper to just buy a new PCM than to have a stealership do anything to your truck.

As for performance, these trucks are pretty slow on the start. Especially if the intake and exhaust are stock. You might not be looking to really mod your truck, but I would really reccomend ditching the intake and stock exhaust before thinking about a chip. Opening up the intake and exhaust makes a considerable difference in performance, and you might be happy with just that.

mike
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First off, the intake has been modded and the exhaust is 4" dual straight pipes. Got that covered.

I don't have a diagnostic tool. Know people who do, so it wouldn't have to be a dealer. However, what I was asking is if a tool will show whether or not it has been previously programmed...

I've had several diesel pickups, and run heavy equipment for a living. I understand diesels - I simply do not have any experience with all of the programming.

Thanks, and anyone with any more advice feel free...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, forgot to add:

As you all can see, I'm weak with the electronics. What is OBDII? I'm not even sure...guess I could search, but since it was mentioned just thought I would ask.

Sorry I forgot to mention the intake and exhaust work before...

Oh, and I did search before and reviewed about 50 pages of threads but couldn't find what I was looking for concerning "getting it back to stock if it's been programmed"...

Thanks, and keep the advice coming please.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Ok. Good to hear you're farmiliar with diesel. It helps.

Intake and exhaust already done.

OBD II- On Board Diagnostics II. Pre '94 ('93 and older) vehicles had what's known as OBD I. OBD is a computer system that monitors the sensors in your vehicle, and collects data from them. Using OBD I to diagnose problems was kind of slow going, and left a bit to be desired. OBD II was "required" by federal law in all vehicles '96 and newer. OBD II collects "LOTS AND LOTS" of data on your vehicle. Trouble codes, performance, etc. So, since your truck is a '96, you should be able to plug into your OBD port, with pretty much any scan tool, and retrieve trouble codes etc.

As for if OBD II will tell you if your vehicle is chipped or not, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will jump on and let you know.

mike
Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndrm View Post
So, since your truck is a '96, you should be able to plug into your OBD port, with pretty much any scan tool, and retrieve trouble codes etc.

mike
Actually that is NOT true. The Ford On Board Diagnostics for Powerstroke motors is completely different than just any 'ol OBD II system. The cheap scanners will not work. Even some of the high end Snap-On scanners wont work. You need to buy a scanner that is made to except the highly complicated Ford data..

Or find someone who has one. IE: a good diesel repair shop..
Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having a similar issue! I had the code scanned and every time it throws the same code 1611 which says "injector pressure too high/low" The Ford garage asked me if it had ever had a power chip because they see many PS Diesels do this when chips have been installed. He went on to tell me that the chip raises the injector pressure to achieve the extra hp but the ECU is retarding the injectors to avoid possible motor damage. The dealer cleared the codes but told me it would eventually come back and the chip should be removed.

I removed the drivers floorboard kick panel to access the ECU and it looked like something had been plugged into the slot but was removed. The plastic dust cover was missing and you could see where the computer contacts had been scored by something plugged in???

Told the Ford dealer that there was NO CHIP he said Super Chip also had a programmer that can be plugged into the OBD data port under the dash and it could be programmed the same way via the plug in programmer. I asked him if this was the case than why, when he cleared the codes and reset it to factory defaults is it still throwing the same code? He said the bad thing about the programmers are, once it is programed it becomes "Burnt into" the actual Ford computer software and the only way to take care of the issue is to replace the whole ECU which is about $800.

Anyway,,,I spent many hrs researching all this on many Powerstroke forums and spoke to MANY so called experts and received many answers. The best advice I received was a guy said just purchase an inexpensive Super Chip programmer and plug it in and play around w the values a little like turn the Horse Power down and see if this taker care of the issue. ANY IDEAS? Thanks guys
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, I have a 97 F 350 Auto Trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.