Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

OBS mpg

35K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  BuickLeSabre1960 
#1 ·
Well, just finished my tortureous test of mpg in my 96' f250. I ran only from the front tank and on the first tank i got 18 mpg even with no additives at all. On the second tank i put in a 16 ounce bottle of 2stroke oil and ended up with 18.7 mpg :woot: I mostly ran the truck back and forth to school where its 55 mph about 90 percent of the way and the rest is stop and go traffic. I have a bully dog 6pos tuner (junk) on the second tune, diy intake, 4 inch exhaust with a 3 inch dp. On average i usually get about 16 but i ran these last 2 tanks with a really light foot never getting over 2000 rpm (auto tranny).

I was wondering what the best you guys out there have ever gotten with your obs? And what other mods do you think i could do to the truck to get even better milleage?

#2 ·
I get around 22-20 with a light steady foot with the chip on stock.

#3 ·
The best I have gotten was 19.7 all highway. I normally get around 17 and dont baby it a whole lot, but also dont drive it like its a race car.

#4 ·
I pull off 16-18 MPG but I drive with the skinny pedal touching the oil filter. :crazy:

#5 ·
I can pinch out 20 if I keep my foot out of it. Normally I do get 17-19, I have a TC lock switch so I can keep RPM REAL low.

#7 ·
i rarely check mine as i run wvo. but the last few tanks have been on straight d2

first check 17 - normal driving - for me
second check 18.5 - lighter on the foot, some heavier stomps
on third now - taking it easy, staying near 55 to 65 max
all empty

i was looking at starting a thread on this as im officially checking mine.

i have 95 f250, 4x2, ext. cab, long bed, 285k, 4.10 gear

#8 ·
When I first got mine it got 16-17.

Since I have put on the DIY intake, changed the lift pump, and done the fpr shim and now regularly run fuel additive 18 is what I get just runnin around here close. If there is any highway driving it goes up to 19-20.

About a month ago I made a 300 mile trip doin 60-65mph never exceeded 2200rpm and got a hand calculated 24.3 mpg.

I think one of the main things that gives me the mpg's is that mine has the 3.55's pullin 35" tires therefore she is pretty high geared.

#9 ·
id love soem 3.55's. i dont pull often but i figure when i do ill just tolerate it. or get a chip :sly:

#10 ·
MPG

I have a 95 Dually with 4.10 diff and @ 65 with cruse on I got a best of 19. Driving 75 - 80 I seem to get about 17 on the road and 14 - 15 around town driving back and forth to work.

Rick

#12 ·
I've been getting around 18-19 in town, and bout 17 or so on the highway. Mine is a manual with 4.11 gears so in town does better than highway cruising. I've found that it helps mileage tremendously if you just stay outta the boost, but we all know how hard that is to do!!!!

#17 ·
Amen! what do you do in Wichita?

#13 ·
2000rpm or under is my ideal milage rpm. But thats at 50mph... Gets annoying getting passed by other cars and trucks. But 4.10s make it fly when you hammer down.

#14 ·
Just went to Boston and back last week, averaged 22.84 and 22.79. Before that I went to IL and back towing 2500-4500lbs and averaged 14.12. The worst I've ever got was 9.5, but that was towing 15000lbs back from Pittsburgh. I normally get 17 city 22 hwy. Normally set the cruise at 65ish. I also have 4.10s.

#15 ·
i used to have a 97 f350 4x4 reg cab 5 speed w/ 3.55s, baby swamps, swamps fuel system and a ts 6 positions chip (and intake and exhaust) and it would routinely get 24-25 if i did nothing but HWY driving. around town i could pull off 22 if i kept my foot out of it. it was a nice truck, its also for sale from the kid i sold it to if anyones looking...

#16 ·
If I'm good, I can usually average between 20-22 in town, and about 25 hwy @ 55. (If I want to go fast, I'll drive my car)

mike

#21 ·
I haven't done much interstate driving with my lift but before I did it I ranged from 22mpg to 12mpg interstate depending on how I drove it. In the city my last MPG was 12.9. I just started using a website to keep track of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.