Fiinally got my Powerstroke... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fiinally got my Powerstroke...

After posting many times and thinking I had one and lost it, I finally got one. Before I continue, thanks to all you on the board for answering my question, posts, etc. even though many of them were repetative.

Specs:

1997 F250 2WD Supercrew XLT
230,000 miles
Everything is stock
No 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch
Texas 3 Owner Truck
1 Accident in 2003, shows up on Carfax
Price paid: $6,300 +TTL

Impressions:
This isn't the first time I drove a Powerstroke, not an OBS Crewcab. This truck drives staight, solid, with no rattles other than normal rattles from a 12 year old truck. Everything seems to work except for the lights on top of the cabin and the cruise control. I'll check into it more and check fuses etc. The truck starts right up, sounds good, no black smoke, cruised at 70mpg for the 350 mile ride back home.

Interior:
It is near perfect. I didn't think I could find a truck this clean. No rips, stains, holes, console is clean. I'll take some pictures of it, but everything works, ashtray is clean, no wind noise through the doors, original radio. AC works great, no complaints here.

Exterior:
As I mentioned, it was in an accident and it is slightly noticeable on the front, below the grill. The hood is faded, but other than that it looks great. I don't see any signs of body work, etc. other than the front. Passenger doors has to be closed a bit harder than the others, but other than that, everythings in good shape. It has a heavy stainless steel bumper on the back, no painted and looks original. The bed has some scratches, but it is in good shape, no obvious rust, although I haven't looked real close.

Drive home:
The drive home was 353 miles. I used the front tank for the first 200 miles and had between 3/8 and a 1/4 tank left before I switched to the back. The other 153 miles were on the back tank and I've got about 3/8 of a tank left. I cannot tell gas mileage yet, but the entire drive was into a stiff wind, although I don't think that makes a difference with a truck this heavy. I would guess I got between 17mpg with stock tires. At 70mph, I was running about 2300 RPM's. The truck just purred along.

Overall:
Its difficult to tell much, but I think I got a good truck. It seems well taken care of, mechanically solid, and will serve its purpose. I think the price was OK, but its difficult to find a nice 97 crewcab in this kind of shape.
I have driven a couple of diesels, and there is nothing like the sound. I LOVE it. The truck had plenty of go when I needed it, but it just purred along at the highway. I left at 8:30pm and got in last night at 2:30. It was a nice 6 hour drive back home with a couple of stops for food, etc. After I give it a good washing I'll take some pictures.

Future mods:
At this point, I just want to put some good E-Load rated 265/75R16 tires and some simple 16x8" wheels. Slowly I'll upgrade the sound system, but other than that, I don't plan on doing much, maybe get the hood re-painted.

Thanks Powerstroke.org, you all helped me more than you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad you found one, sounds like a good price for the condition too. Those Texans really take care of their trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.