Preventative Maint - My list Missing anything? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Preventative Maint - My list Missing anything?

Just bought an OBS (96 auto 4x4) and wanted to get her ready for a long life. (excuse me as this is my first diesel)
Truck has 214k on it right now and have been driving for a few days. Very minor things needs attention that I have found. Just did the glowplugs..

What I would like to do it all preventative maint things rather than performance. Although I come from a performance background, I didn't buy this truck for that purpose. I am sure it will turn into that like everything else I own, but as I have learned with other vehicles... I would like to try to make it as reliable as possible BEFORE adding power.

On my short list of maint are the following and I would like to know what else I may be missing.

1. Change Fuel filter (done)
2. change oil (doing today even though sticker in truck from dealer shows it not due for another 2k miles)
3. change Auto Trans fluid (is it worth buying a newer pan w/ drain plug, or just tap my own in current pan?)
3.5 replace trans cooler with larger aftermarket unit. (what do you guys recommend? are there other finer filters that can be added in the system, where to buy?)
4. add a coolant filter (will more than likely make my own system)
5. Purchased a Nappa 6637 filter and will change that out this week and modify it to accept the filter minder
6. Ordered an EGT and boost gauge (who make an A-Pillar gauge pod, i couldn't find an autometer one?)
7. flush coolant
8. replace batteries
9. change out starter with a newer unit (dont they spin faster? what year to use?)

other than that... the things I know need attention
-headlight switch
-turn signal switch
-bulb behind tach in OEM cluster (how hard are these to replace)
-replace one hanger rubber for exhaust

Please let me know anything I am missing as I am sure I dont know being so new to these. I would rather change things in the driveway before they break, than to have the thing leave me stranded needing a tow home due to negligence.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGParts View Post
Just bought an OBS (96 auto 4x4) and wanted to get her ready for a long life. (excuse me as this is my first diesel)
Truck has 214k on it right now and have been driving for a few days. Very minor things needs attention that I have found. Just did the glowplugs..

What I would like to do it all preventative maint things rather than performance. Although I come from a performance background, I didn't buy this truck for that purpose. I am sure it will turn into that like everything else I own, but as I have learned with other vehicles... I would like to try to make it as reliable as possible BEFORE adding power.

On my short list of maint are the following and I would like to know what else I may be missing.

1. Change Fuel filter (done)
2. change oil (doing today even though sticker in truck from dealer shows it not due for another 2k miles)
3. change Auto Trans fluid (is it worth buying a newer pan w/ drain plug, or just tap my own in current pan?)
3.5 replace trans cooler with larger aftermarket unit. (what do you guys recommend? are there other finer filters that can be added in the system, where to buy?)
4. add a coolant filter (will more than likely make my own system)
5. Purchased a Nappa 6637 filter and will change that out this week and modify it to accept the filter minder
6. Ordered an EGT and boost gauge (who make an A-Pillar gauge pod, i couldn't find an autometer one?)
7. flush coolant
8. replace batteries
9. change out starter with a newer unit (dont they spin faster? what year to use?)

other than that... the things I know need attention
-headlight switch
-turn signal switch
-bulb behind tach in OEM cluster (how hard are these to replace)
-replace one hanger rubber for exhaust

Please let me know anything I am missing as I am sure I dont know being so new to these. I would rather change things in the driveway before they break, than to have the thing leave me stranded needing a tow home due to negligence.

Thanks in advance!
What are your winters like? Somes suggest upgrading the GPR (Glow Plug Relay) to the Stancor model, handles the power much better and more reliable. i will be doing this to mine. i dont recall the model, ill try and find is via search, but it typicaly runs $45 to $60. Thats my only suggestion, you pretty much have it nailed though!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Winters are not to bad... I live in NJ (zone 6)

That was one other mod I had on my list (forget what it is called on boats), but a plug in the bumper rather than the cord just dangling.

I will look into that GPR you speak of, let me know if you have a link!
Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGParts View Post

Thanks in advance!
idk about the OBS, but on mine, a 6.0L trans cooler is WAY bigger and is a direct bolt in replacement

for the A pillar pod, lots of places sell them. just a google seach is good. but stealth automotive i know has some stuff.

that's a pretty good list. i can't really think of anything else either
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

oops forgot to search, got side tracked. here ya go!
stancor 586-902
Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Just my two cents, but stay away from autometer gauges. The ones that I've used in the past have been horribly inaccurate and stuck often. Currently running Isspro and am very pleased with both form and function.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Just my two cents, but stay away from autometer gauges. The ones that I've used in the past have been horribly inaccurate and stuck often. Currently running Isspro and am very pleased with both form and function.
I have a set of Defi gauges here, but they are 60mm and are in bar and c* so I would rather get something smaller like a 52mm and in "US" measurements...

Thanks for the input though. Appreciated
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 AM

when flushing coolant, should I be looking into another thermostat... like a diff temp opening? if so, what to ask for at the parts store?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Lets See....

Front and Rear Diff fluid change
Tansmission Filter
Battery Guard
Check all your u-joints
look for any leaking seals
Windshield wiper blades
check all light bulbs
rotate tires or replace if needed
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM

some say that a 203 oF thermostat is better than the 198 on there. i think dieselsite.com has them and decent little explanation on there too
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=186
there's the t-stat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.