Just bought an OBS (96 auto 4x4) and wanted to get her ready for a long life. (excuse me as this is my first diesel)
Truck has 214k on it right now and have been driving for a few days. Very minor things needs attention that I have found. Just did the glowplugs..
What I would like to do it all preventative maint things rather than performance. Although I come from a performance background, I didn't buy this truck for that purpose. I am sure it will turn into that like everything else I own, but as I have learned with other vehicles... I would like to try to make it as reliable as possible BEFORE adding power.
On my short list of maint are the following and I would like to know what else I may be missing.
1. Change Fuel filter (done)
2. change oil (doing today even though sticker in truck from dealer shows it not due for another 2k miles)
3. change Auto Trans fluid (is it worth buying a newer pan w/ drain plug, or just tap my own in current pan?)
3.5 replace trans cooler with larger aftermarket unit. (what do you guys recommend? are there other finer filters that can be added in the system, where to buy?)
4. add a coolant filter (will more than likely make my own system)
5. Purchased a Nappa 6637 filter and will change that out this week and modify it to accept the filter minder
6. Ordered an EGT and boost gauge (who make an A-Pillar gauge pod, i couldn't find an autometer one?)
7. flush coolant
8. replace batteries
9. change out starter with a newer unit (dont they spin faster? what year to use?)
other than that... the things I know need attention
-turn signal switch
-bulb behind tach in OEM cluster (how hard are these to replace)
-replace one hanger rubber for exhaust
Please let me know anything I am missing as I am sure I dont know being so new to these. I would rather change things in the driveway before they break, than to have the thing leave me stranded needing a tow home due to negligence.
Thanks in advance!