Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

new and need sum advice

586 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cndrm 
#1 ·
im new to the forum and dont yet have a powerstroke but im heavily lookin. i got my eyes on a 95 f350. its single cab shortbed with 5inch chrome stack. says he put in new tranny and clutch and after market injectors.

i need some advice on what to look for on these, problem wise. i dont know much about diesel but im learnin a lot by lookin thru threads and what not. any advice would be helpful. thanks.

#2 ·
make sure tranny shifts good and doesnt grind upshifting or downshifting.obviously see how it runs motor wise.check for leaks,oil level and abnormal smoke coming from tail pipe or any where else.also see how it starts cold,and warm.you can check for engine blow by with removing oil cap and flip it upside down over the oil fill port and see if it blows the cap off.it moving off by engine vibration is diff then being blown off.ive heard if it blows it off,the engines future doesnt look bright.pull turbo inlet hose and intake and check turbo fins for damage and shaft play.ask him when the oil/fuel filter were last changed.check around on suspension for anything out of the norm.other guys will chime in as well,goodluck

#3 ·
^^ Good stuff there. Also ask and see what kind of service record the current owner has. What interval was the oil changed on? What oil did the owner use? What parts/ components have been replaced? (i.e. Batteries, starter, high pressure oil pump, camshaft position sensor, etc.) What kinda miles does the truck/ engine/ tranny have? Has the tranny been rebuilt? Is the truck 4x4? If so, when was the last time/ how often was 4x4 used? (keeping in mind how often you might use 4x4) Also ask if any mods have been done.

mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.