Newbie - Just Boght an OBS - Dash Light ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie - Just Boght an OBS - Dash Light ?

Hello all. Love lurking here, finally own something to post about. Nice site.

I was searching for an F350 CC SB, but search was not turning anything up. I found this one I just picked up a 96 F250 with 200k on the clock in my search and decided to go for it even though it was not exactly what I was looking for. I am a newbie to diesels but bought it to learn. I owned 1 other ford in my life which was a (gas version) 95 that i drove to home depot 1 time, it sat for 2 more years and I sold it... so basically i have never worked on a Ford.

My question is this. The only things not functioning properly are electrical switches. (that I know of at the moment) Headlight switch to light up the dash is the one that is urking me the most. Dash light is very touchy with the headlight control. it could be on, or off depending on its "mood".

Now for the question.. is this what I need to replace it?

HEADLIGHT SWITCH ford F-250 87-97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90:eBay Motors (item 170381103988 end time Oct-09-09 01:15:02 PDT)

Part 2 to that same question... is it worth buying an aftermarket/replacement part for these electrical switches, or is there somewhere (other than dealer) to buy OEM that has NOS that you could point me to. I am also looking for a turn signal switch and just wanted to know what the best place to look for these parts would be.

Thanks in advance!
-KG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yea sounds like a headlight switch,very easy to change.the hardest part is getting the front dash piece off without breaking it.once you get that off you will see the switch in there on the left.theres a metal bracket that holds it in which is just two 8mm bolts i think.once those are out the switch will pull right out.unplug the harness and i just use a pair of pliers to get the bracket off.theres a piece that threads through the bracket into the switch to make it hold,thats what i mean to use the pliers on.just try not to break the connector tab off,they break easily.reverse intructions to install.goodluck oh and also you can prolly get that switch at your local auto parts store for around 20 bucks.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 AM

oh and the headlight switch nob can be a pita to get off as well.if you turn the knob untill you see a gap in it,take a small screw driver and push the metal tab together and if done right it will free the rod and it will slide right off.it took me an hour to get this thing off the first time and i still broke it.just be gentle with it as it can get frustaing.goodluck again
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM

one more thing to add,im not sure if you know how to take the trim pieces off but they just pop out.i use a small flat head and pop a corner out.ok im done
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM

thanks 97 for the input.

So to answer the question about using a switch other than one obtained from the dealer.. it is an ok item to use? Only asking bc I would rather replace it once with the correct part for twice the money 1 time, than replace it multiple times with an inferior part that would be less money upfront.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGParts View Post
Hello all. Love lurking here, finally own something to post about. Nice site.

I was searching for an F350 CC SB, but search was not turning anything up. I found this one I just picked up a 96 F250 with 200k on the clock in my search and decided to go for it even though it was not exactly what I was looking for. I am a newbie to diesels but bought it to learn. I owned 1 other ford in my life which was a (gas version) 95 that i drove to home depot 1 time, it sat for 2 more years and I sold it... so basically i have never worked on a Ford.

My question is this. The only things not functioning properly are electrical switches. (that I know of at the moment) Headlight switch to light up the dash is the one that is urking me the most. Dash light is very touchy with the headlight control. it could be on, or off depending on its "mood".

Now for the question.. is this what I need to replace it?

HEADLIGHT SWITCH ford F-250 87-97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90:eBay Motors (item 170381103988 end time Oct-09-09 01:15:02 PDT)

Part 2 to that same question... is it worth buying an aftermarket/replacement part for these electrical switches, or is there somewhere (other than dealer) to buy OEM that has NOS that you could point me to. I am also looking for a turn signal switch and just wanted to know what the best place to look for these parts would be.

Thanks in advance!

-KG
well as far as the turn signal switch,its actually just a flasher.should be in the fuse block,big round silver flasher.only cost maybe a couple bucks. im not sure what you mean by nos? the headlamp switch will be fine from a auto parts store.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroker View Post
well as far as the turn signal switch,its actually just a flasher.should be in the fuse block,big round silver flasher.only cost maybe a couple bucks.
When using the left signal, it does not "click" itself back off, you have to manually turn it off. That would be the switch, not the flasher, correct?

Quote:

im not sure what you mean by nos? the headlamp switch will be fine from a auto parts store.
NOS = New Old Stock. Sorry... maybe that is not a term used in the ford world??
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM

oh as far as the lever not clicking back im not sure,never had to deal with that yet.im sure if you do some digging you will find the info on here.ive always gotten all my parts from the local auto stores.always worked good for me.goodluck with it all.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGParts View Post
thanks 97 for the input.

So to answer the question about using a switch other than one obtained from the dealer.. it is an ok item to use? Only asking bc I would rather replace it once with the correct part for twice the money 1 time, than replace it multiple times with an inferior part that would be less money upfront.

Thanks
check powerstrokeshop.com for the switch, its like $24 for a factory switch from them. Also an FYI, when your dash lights are out, all your running lights, including your tail lights are out too.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
take a small screw driver and push the metal tab together and if done right it will free the rod and it will slide right off.it took me an hour to get this thing off the first time and i still broke it.
just getting around to this today...
This metal tab you say to push together... I have tried for a while now and can not seem to free this thing. I only see 1 tab. When you say to push it together... what exactly does that mean?

When pushing away from the knob (towards engine) it does nothing. When pushing towards the knob, it seem like it loosens, but not enough to release the knob. Any further and I will crack it right off. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.