Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Change

937 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cndrm 
#1 ·
Alright, it's time for me to learn how to change the oil in my truck. Are there any videos on here or write ups on how to change the oil on the OBS? Also what type of oil is best for the truck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Pull the plug and have a few drain pans ready.. I went for a drive around the block to warm it up a bit before i started. once i got to the final drain bucket i worked on a few other things while i let it weep out. I just used the 5gal pail of oil from walmart and a napa filter. I plan on doing my oil changes evey 3 to 5k. I have about 2 k on it now and it still looks pretty clean so ill probably do it at 5k. Make sure you have a big enough filter wrench. I didnt and had already drained the oil so i had to walk to napa to get one. i have herd of guys taking a screwdriver and punching a hole in teh bottom of the filter and letting it drain... gonna do that next time to save the mess

#4 ·
Its the same as any other vehicle. Go under the truck. Place drain pan under the oil pan. Take out drain plug. Let drain completly. Move drain pan under the oil filter. Take off the oil filter and place into drain pan.

Fill new oil filter with fresh oil. Screw back in. Put plug back into oil pan. Fill with 15 quarts of oil (something like that, been a long time since I've done a PSD. You need 3 gallons, you should have some leftover).

#5 ·
I just throw a 5 gallon bucket under there and drink a beer while it drains. Take off old filter and I fill the new one with Royal Purple and put it back on. Then I fill it to somewhere between the add and full marks. Start the engine and let it build pressure, then I let the engine sit for a of minutes to let the oil drain back to the crankcase and fill it to the full line.

P.S. this is on a Superduty 7.3

#6 ·
Many auto parts stores will have drain pans large enough to accept the full capacity of the 7.3L motor. (and you can go to autozone to recycle the old oil).

IIRC, my drain plug is 21mm. I use a chain wrench to get my filters off. (it's easier than trying to mess with a stupid strap wrench) With the SD's, a large pipe wrench (18" or 24"), works great to get the oil filters off. I have also heard of guys using a screwdriver to get the old filter off, but I'd save that for the "last resort".

As for oil. It's a highly debated topic. (what oil to use) Some say go synthetic, others say conventional. Just do your homework, and make a decision. (it's your truck) Just make sure you've got a proper oil for a diesel engine. And if you're planning on replacing the oil on a regular (not extended) interval, most any oil filter will be fine. (once again, it's kind of debated as to if any are better than others)

mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.