Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Finally got gauges in

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  weareweird69 
#1 ·
Thursday afternoon I finally got the gauges put in my OBS. I got them from a local guy who bought them with his truck a couple years ago but he never got around to putting them in. I gave him 200 for all three gauges and pillar.

I'm kinda puzzled about the tranny temp because when I'm driving down the highway 65-70, the tranny temp stays right at 165, but when I'm just driving down our gravel road around 40mph the temp goes up to 180. Should I kick out the O/D for country road driving since the fastest I ever go is around 50? Today when I was coming home, I was going 40 and in O/D it was running around 1200rpm.

The max. boost I've hit was 22-23psi. but unless I really get on it hard 18 is my average.

The EGT's normally run anywhere between 500 and 950. The highest I could get it was 1000 and that was pedal to metal till 85mph.

Do these sound pretty normal for a nearly stock OBS?

#2 ·
I would say everything appears normal. 60 degrees + ambient temp for trans is ok. Look to see how big your cooler is, mine in traffic is 190 sometimes but goes to 160-170 after 10 minutes of driving.

#3 ·
sounds good bud! but i was told if your no the high way you souldnt be in O/D

#6 ·
Mine's got a stock cooler. I kinda wondered about the tranny temp because its cooler going down the highway than cruisin down a country road. I do know that my tranny is having issues because every so often, my OD Off light flashes and it goes into the high line pressure safe mode and shifts like crap until the computer is reset. Also I need to do something with the fluid in it because it's all brown and smells kinda burnt, but I've been a little reluctant because some people said to not change it because the particles in the fluid are what's holding my tranny together. On the other hand some people including Brian at BTS said that fresh fluid could only help.:dunno:

#7 ·
I forsee a problem in your future... Better to figure out the pressure issue and change that fluid asap

#9 ·
Should I change the fluid myself or have it done by somebody else?
Would it be good to have it flushed aswell?

#12 ·
I wish I would of had gauges right before my tranny blew up. I'd say my temp was above that lol.

#11 ·
I'm kinda puzzled about the tranny temp because when I'm driving down the highway 65-70, the tranny temp stays right at 165, but when I'm just driving down our gravel road around 40mph the temp goes up to 180. Should I kick out the O/D for country road driving since the fastest I ever go is around 50? Today when I was coming home, I was going 40 and in O/D it was running around 1200rpm.
The tranny was running hotter at 40 mph because your torque converter was not locked. They lock right around 40 mph. I also vote for a fluid change. You can do it yourself, there are quite a few "how-to" write ups out there, just do a google search. If possible, try to find out if there are any codes to help pin point why your o/d light was flashing. Could be as simple as your vss going out, or could be something internal in your transmission.

#14 ·
What type of tranny fluid do I use and how much? Idk much about these trannys but is there a filter to change also?

I changed the vss a few months ago and it didn't make a difference.

I have a feeling that this has something to do with the 80hp edge evo that the previous owner was running on it.

We ran codes on it a while back and it threw a "generic transmission slip" code but idk what number it was.

Is it possible that it could just be the TC slipping not the entire tranny? when the code is cleared, it runs out great and shifts like it ought to...nice and firm but not hard like it is doing now.

#15 ·
Try this link:

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

You'll need about 20 quarts of Mercon Tranny fluid to do the flush. The system holds about 18 quarts, the extra is needed to flush out all the old fluid from the lines & t/c.

Before doing this, you may want read the codes again and get the numbers.
It could be your t/c, or it could be the clutches in the transmission slipping.
No sense putting in new fluid if you are going to need a rebuild anyway.

#16 ·
Sounds pretty good for a stock truck... My truck, even on stock settings, runs around 800-1000*... My trans i've had up to 230* Idk wtf is up with my truck, but it runs HOT, I've even got a larger cooler and trans lines haha

Ive had torque converters go out right after a fluid change. I've also heard the saying of the old fluid keeping it together lol

#17 ·
Thanks for the info guys although I have another question...Where or who should I have run the codes? I had the local tranny shop guy do it and he has a red Snap On code reader and that's about all i know about it. He said he doesn't want to touch it unless I have him completely rebuild it considering the miles that is on it.

#18 ·
where did you put your egt probe?

#19 ·
towards the back of the driverside exhaust manifold

#20 ·
Just get the codes read from anyone, local parts stores wont work on the truck though, you need a shop that has a higher end reader to read codes in the PSD's Get the numbers of the codes, and descriptions, and report back. Someone should be able to tell you what they mean.

#21 ·
Alright, do most shops normally charge to get codes read?

#23 ·
Ok thanks, I will...I just wondered because earlier I called up the local diesel performance shop which is notoriously higher that its competitors and they told me they charge $90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.