fuel in valley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel in valley

Hey all. I realized today I have a leak coming from under the turbo pedestal. Most likely the lift pump. After doing a ton of research here, I am under the impression I have to remove the turbo to change the pump. It is a Ca. truck with the black Bosch disk preventing me from actually getting to see the banjo bolt. I saw the thread with the pics of the "1 1/4 wrench on the bolt, however it doesn't look like I will be able to fit ANYTHING back there due to this black disk in the way..

My question is: Is there ANY other way to replace the pump on Ca. trucks W/O removing the turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Your stuck removing the turbo on the CA truck to get it out. Sorry about that!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteel View Post
Your stuck removing the turbo on the CA truck to get it out. Sorry about that!
Any writeup on this anywhere?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:40 AM

There should be a stock and d66 removal and install write up in the tech section.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 AM

D66 or stock turbo install courtesy of Matt P

Theres a link to the write up.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 AM

BS!!!!! You do not have to remove the turbo. I have a Ca. truck, and I didn't remove the turbo. (though I'm not sure what you're referring to by Black Bosch Disk. Explain please.

If you want to, and feel comfortable, then you could always employ a dremel tool with cut off wheels and carve on the turbo pedistal a little to give yourself a little more room.

As for the wrench. I bought my 1 1/4" wrench at Napa. (their brand). If you have a torch, you could always heat up a section twards the box end, to bend it a little. All in all, it's not hard to get the Banjo bolt off. Once it's broke loose, it's screw right out. (fine thread) And when you pull the Heui pump, be carefull not to lose/ drop the plunger.

mike
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndrm View Post
BS!!!!! You do not have to remove the turbo. I have a Ca. truck, and I didn't remove the turbo. (though I'm not sure what you're referring to by Black Bosch Disk. Explain please.

If you want to, and feel comfortable, then you could always employ a dremel tool with cut off wheels and carve on the turbo pedistal a little to give yourself a little more room.

As for the wrench. I bought my 1 1/4" wrench at Napa. (their brand). If you have a torch, you could always heat up a section twards the box end, to bend it a little. All in all, it's not hard to get the Banjo bolt off. Once it's broke loose, it's screw right out. (fine thread) And when you pull the Heui pump, be carefull not to lose/ drop the plunger.

mike
Anyone else have any input on what cndrm is saying? I really don't want to remove the turbo. But I'm concerned with the Bosch disk being in the way..
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 AM

Do you have a pic of this disk? I don't have anything between my HEUI pump and the turbo pedistal.

Every shop, including 3 Ford dealerships, told me the turbo had to be removed. I just didn't listen. I just figured they're trying to accumulate more labor time, plus, the more things you take off, the more things that can potentially go wrong. (i.e. if you pull the turbo and pedistal, you'll need/want to replace the o-rings on the pedistal etc.)

mike
Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM

CNDRM.. The reason you don't have the disc is because your truck is a '95. Mid 1996 and newer (Ca. ONLY) models had split shot injectors, and the black disc is a damper for the split-shots..

I replaced the pump today after 4 hrs of removing the turbo.. What a PITA. It actually went back together very smooth. Now that I know where all the bolts are. The last pedestal bolt you really cant see at all. The only other thing that sucked was trying to hook up the EBPV actuator rod.. That took about 45 min and a lot of back pain from tweaking my body to get the right angle.

I'm proud to say I did it myself. And looking back on it, it wasn't that bad of a job. It sure beats over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS at
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hferris View Post
CNDRM.. The reason you don't have the disc is because your truck is a '95. Mid 1996 and newer (Ca. ONLY) models had split shot injectors, and the black disc is a damper for the split-shots..

I replaced the pump today after 4 hrs of removing the turbo.. What a PITA. It actually went back together very smooth. Now that I know where all the bolts are. The last pedestal bolt you really cant see at all. The only other thing that sucked was trying to hook up the EBPV actuator rod.. That took about 45 min and a lot of back pain from tweaking my body to get the right angle.

I'm proud to say I did it myself. And looking back on it, it wasn't that bad of a job. It sure beats over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS at
Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. That explains it. Yeah, split shot injectors I don't have. (but then again, I have a little less clutter in my engine valley.

Glad to hear you got her all fixed up. It's nice doin a job yourself. The sense of completion is great. Plus there's nothin wrong with saving over a thousand dollars.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.