Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1997 f350 7.3l disel crank no start

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  lockem2011 
#1 ·
I have a 97 7.3 that is a crank no start not getting fuel. Cant read obd2 with snap on verus edge. ALL fuses are good in dash and under hood. So thats not the issue at all. When cranking I get readings on oil pressure and at the tach all guages work, WTS light comes on the first time I turn key after that it wont come on unless I leave key off for a good period of time BUT I dont hear any noise at all once I turn key to on position. I get zero smoke coming from back so clearly not getting fuel. Fuel pump puts out plenty of pressure so pump is not the issue. Injectors are not actuating. Oil level is good filters are newish but not so old to be of concern. CPS is brand new and the one I pulled out looked very new. The starter is a couple months old as well as the ALT. and batteries are fully charged. Wiring all around looks fine. ICP is good and so is IPR. Oil is there at HPOP so I dont believe that to be the issue. The only thing left i can think of is the PCM is fried but I am looking for other opinion on this truck because Im so lost with the fact that the gauges all work
This is my fist powerstroke so am in need of any help possible. I do know that the the injector was no good but I cant imagine that to cause the issue of not being able to read with my fancy shmancy snapon verus edge. So any help is very much appreciated.

#2 ·
Your truck isn't OBD2 compliant. Its only "compatible". Only certain scanners can read these trucks, try to find someone with a snap-on MT2500 red brick.
Until you can read data, you can't be sure the IPR or ICP are good.

#3 · (Edited)
I keep seeing that but I've used my crappy scanner from Walmart and read codes Which read basic DTC's. The early 2000s "tuner" that was in truck when I bought has read the codes and I've used my verus to do everything on this truck. All the graphs the buzz test the the cutout test memory codes etc. so when I see people saying that, I can't imagine they're 100% right. That might apply for some trucks but if I'm not mistaken manufacturers were to be OBD2 compliant before that year, diesels were an exception apparently, but they went ahead anyways just to make it easier(is what I've read on other forums not trying sound like a dick). But my verus has 100% worked on my truck before this incident.
And has read all the pressures as far as ipr and icp. Sense it has all worked before those two issues would not explain why I cant connect. Unless there is some wiring I am not seeing or PCM crapped out. I'm still very lost on this truck.

#4 ·
How do you know you are not getting fuel? Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? A scanner will not tell you the fuel pressure. There is a shedder valve on the side of the fuel pressure regulator that is attached to the fuel bowl.

#5 ·
Checked that valve. Fuel pressure seems to be good. Which tells me my fuel pump is working. And I'd say my injectors aren't pushing fuel sense they're huei and something electrical is going on. If I was actually getting fuel I should be at the least seeing white smoke or smelling diesel. But im nother getting either. I did a buzz test on them a week or so prior and #6 injector is short circuit. But trick was still runningjust had a miss. Other than that no other codes. And now sense truck has shut off I checked everything I could think that didn't require a scan tool sense I can't communicate with pcm

#6 ·
Unplug the fuel bowl heater, swap another fuse into slot #22 . Give the PCM wiring harness a good shake.
Check fuse 8 and 9.
When i say check them, i mean use a voltmeter and check voltage drop across them with power applied, fuses don't have to be blown to be NFG.

Are you getting power to the OBD2 plug?

#8 ·
Glow plugs or relay?

#9 ·
The glow plug relay is brand new found a broken post so switched. No change. Then I triedon't CPS no change. Then I tried all this other stuff. No change. I ve done all I can think of. All I can think now is PCM. Still need to check the voltage drop between which can't til tomorrow. But other the that I'm guessingredients pcm. When I turn key to on position I hear no noise though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.