95 Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 Powerstroke

I have an idi pickup that is really clean and I had a guy offer me a trade for a 95 powerstroke w/ 5speed. it's a 4wd ext cab long bed. I have an ext cab long bed 93 idi w/ 5 speed 4" lift and 35's. I'm probably going to take a good look at it. What should I look for as far as problems. He said the steering wheel is loose and that he thinks it's in one of the joints in the column. any problems with these in obs trucks? it has 160k miles on it. What do you guys think? I have pictures of both I can post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

read the "what to look fro when buying a used psd" thread.

here is my list:
maintenance records
how well does it start
check for oil and fuel leaks - if there are any, research possible causes.
maybe check compresssion?

thats about it, since you have an idi im sure your familar enough with diesels. expec tot hav eto repalce glows, batteries, glow relay, etc. even if you end up not having to.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmono33 View Post
I have an idi pickup that is really clean and I had a guy offer me a trade for a 95 powerstroke w/ 5speed. it's a 4wd ext cab long bed. I have an ext cab long bed 93 idi w/ 5 speed 4" lift and 35's. I'm probably going to take a good look at it. What should I look for as far as problems. He said the steering wheel is loose and that he thinks it's in one of the joints in the column. any problems with these in obs trucks? it has 160k miles on it. What do you guys think? I have pictures of both I can post.
My steering wheel is pritty loose, It needs a new colum to fix it but ive put over 30k on it as it is... Previous owner would grab the wheel to pull his gut inside the truck
Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 PM

mine is loose as well. not to concerned, but would like to know what needs to be fixed. but ti doesnt seem to bad
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was a decent looking truck but not near as clean and straight as my idi the glass was cracked and the interior had a torn seat and was dirty. My pump is cranked and I advanced the timing so my truck is similar in power (other truck was a stock psd w/ straight pipe) It also chewed up front tires, and he said that the column needed a new bearing put in it. You could move it 2-4 inches up-down and side-side. Didn't seem to drip any oil on the ground but the valve covers had some built up oil that looked like it had been there for a while aswell as the valley. Started good and everthing but I just didn't want to mess with the steering so I decided to pass on the trade and keep my idi. Not to mention it had a $50 hunter special pos camper on the back that had no jacks so you would have to get 5 guys to get it off. What really turned me off about it was he was really pushy I said that I'll have to sleep on it because of the steering issue and he said i'll give you $100. I just didn't want to mess with it so I said I'll still have to wait. Then he offered to give me $200 to fix it. I think that there is something else that is wrong with it and he was just trying to unload it. His buddy drove the truck and talked to me about both trucks which I also thought was weird. Plus he didn't have any clue what was in the truck, who did the tranny swap, all he could say was the guy that had it before me did it. So anyways just thought I would give you guys some feedback. Thanks for the pointers.

Jake
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

good you went with the gut feeling, i think he was trying to uload it as well. being that pushy and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.