gutted cat with muffler left on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gutted cat with muffler left on

has anyone done this? how does it sound? better to cut off muffler and put a piece of pipe in place? thinking of leaving muffler on since it is straight through design
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

With a full exhaust, the 7.3's sound good completely straight piped. With the stacks I had to add a muffler to quiet it down in the cab a little bit.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Gutted my cat, deleted my muffler. Noticeable improvement on low end response.. Awesome turbo whistle when you open window as you are driving, especially in town as sound waves bounce back from store fronts. A little bit of a flutter noise at idle. Not any change at all inside cab as far as noise goes. People who drive with me have no idea that I am not running a muffler. Wife made no comment, has no idea what I did.. I had a muffler shop cut me a 3 inch dia. pipe about 24 inches long, and had them flare each end. Slipped it over existing gap where muffler was, and clamped down tight. Will weld it some other time. I am convinced it was worth the effort.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Forgot to mention, I tried it out with just the gutted cat, and muffler intact. The result was no turbo whistle. Removing the muffler gave me the whistle sound I was craving.. Chris
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterdriver View Post
Gutted my cat, deleted my muffler. Noticeable improvement on low end response.. Awesome turbo whistle when you open window as you are driving, especially in town as sound waves bounce back from store fronts. A little bit of a flutter noise at idle. Not any change at all inside cab as far as noise goes. People who drive with me have no idea that I am not running a muffler. Wife made no comment, has no idea what I did.. I had a muffler shop cut me a 3 inch dia. pipe about 24 inches long, and had them flare each end. Slipped it over existing gap where muffler was, and clamped down tight. Will weld it some other time. I am convinced it was worth the effort.
thats whats im after. wifey doesnt need to know. and how did you clamp the pipe down? what kind of clamp did you use? im not up on the piping stuff.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to wrench
I recommend saving yourself the trouble and just buy 4" turbo back. I was considering the options like you're doing now and am pleased with deciding to buy the 4" straight. Turbo is incredible. Cab noise is the same (in my opinion better). There is a slight drone towing 8k at 72ish or without towing it comes in about 82mph. If the turbo is what you're wanting to hear do that filter replacement mod everyone talks about also. Thats what I did but used a standard 10" long k&n with 4" outlet instead of the paper filter. If you're saving your pennies contact Farm Boys Diesel I think the name is. Cheap and effective
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM

I just cut the cat and muffler of and it sounds good thats what I would do
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Wrench's wisdom is sound, if you have the cash. I personally have practically zero cash with 4 kids to raise. This was a low buck deal, but the end result was not too bad at all!! I wish I could have a straight 4 inch system. I carefully measured the distance between the ends of the muffler, which came out to about 24 inches. My local muffler shop cut me a length, and flared out the ends to slip over the exhaust pipe. He sold me two clamps to fit over the flared ends. Total cost was about $28.00 . Any more questions please ask.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Wrench's wisdom is sound, if you have the cash. I personally have practically zero cash with 4 kids to raise. This was a low buck deal, but the end result was not too bad at all!! I wish I could have a straight 4 inch system. I carefully measured the distance between the ends of the muffler, which came out to about 24 inches. My local muffler shop cut me a length, and flared out the ends to slip over the exhaust pipe. He sold me two clamps to fit over the flared ends. Total cost was about $28.00 . Any more questions please ask.
That is the way to go when you don't have alot of money cuz I don't have any either
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I did it on the '97..picked up about 2-3 mpg and I now can pass someone in the hills..great free mod. I did at the same time install a Tymar.

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.