1995 powerstroke mpg? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 powerstroke mpg?

powerstroke newbie here.

I'm just wondering if this sounds right. 14 mpg city/highway does not seem to matter. Rarely spun past 2000 rpm. Its a king cab 4x4 aod 3.55 gears. I can run it in witht he hubs locked, unlocked or in 4x4 and it does not change the mpg. I made sure the air is up in all 4 tires. I checked for leaks all i see is it looks a little wet in the lifter valley and on the pump pipes. No puddles or anything just wet looking. Thye truck has been well maintained with 160k miles. It starts good runs good pulls hard the tranny works fine also. Only thing is the first morning start it will puff a fairly big cloud of smoke. On the road you can run it up to 3000 rpm the turbo whistles fairly loud and it hauls with no signs of smoke out the pipe. I'm wondering it the o-rings are leaking? Easiest way would be to check the fuel bowl right? to see if there is any oil in there. Is it located under the plastic intake cover?

I would think the powerstroke should be better on fuel as i owned a 88 7.3 idi 4x4 with 4.10 gears and a manual 4 speed no o/d and it got 16mpg running at 2500-2600 rpm at 55mph(same winter/summer, 4x4 or 2wd) compared to the powerstroke running 1500 rpm @ 55mph. No load so i doubt there is more than 2 -3lbs of boost at cruising speed empty.

Thanks

EDIT: no check engine light and it will start fairly easy at 16 degrees not plugged in. Plug it in for 1 hr at 6 degrees outside and it starts easy.

Last edited by 95PDXLT; 02-28-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

14 doesnt sound too bad. I have a late 99 and only get 15-16 in the city and on the highway not pulling anything. When I hook my small enclosed trailer to it the mileage drops to around 12 and when i put it in 4wheel drive I see a big drop in mileage.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

With colder temps and ULSD you will see a drop in mileage a bit. Do you use any cetane booster? Give that a shot.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 AM

cetane is this like octane boost? or an injector cleaner?

What i find odd is that i can run in 4x4, 2wd baby the pedal or thromp it and it does not seem to make a difference.

is it normal to see a puff of smoke on the am start in coldwer weather? Sometimes its pretty blue other times kinda greyish in color.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a '97 5 speed 4x4 with 4.10's and it gets 12.5 -13.0 mpg. Does not change no matter how I drive or what I do. Same white-blue smoke cloud on initial start up in the morning. I also had a twin to this truck (bought both new at the same time). It was the same way.

I, too, owned an IDI 7.3 and saw about 15mpg with that... only difference was that it was an E4OD.

Your 95 sounds normal.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 PM

ok well that makes me rest assured. Atleast there is a hell of alot more power than the old idi lol. I'll take a look at the fuel bowl to make sure there is no oil in the fuel.

So is it true with a chip/exhaust and run on the first hp setting it wil actually be better on fuel and have more power? sounds to good to be true.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i get 18 highway with auto and 3:55 rear
try changing fuel and air filters
i also use Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost every fill
The grey bottle...not the white
Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle5 View Post
i get 18 highway with auto and 3:55 rear
try changing fuel and air filters
i also use Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost every fill
The grey bottle...not the white
Can the diesel cetane boost be bought at say walmart or such?

Is this with the exhaust mod and air intake mod? did you notice a difference before and after? whats the thoughts on k&n panel replacement filters?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Walmart or just about any truck stop

I started out with about 15hwy...took out cat a muffler went to 16-17 added air intake got 18-19

My thoughts on K&N are not good. Get a AFE if you want the kit but i like the Tymar style myself
14 in town would be good for me. i get maybe 10 in town.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM

I agree with circle5 on the cetane booster, the grey bottle. I can't find it at some of the wal-marts around here, but napa usually always has it. Get yourself an intake and down pipe, then see how she does, and decide whether or not you want a chip. If it were me I would definetly get a chip though. You can get high idle to help with warm ups, and an economy setting, just to mention a few. I went here for my chip totaldieselperformance.com Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.