Hole in fuel tank/Tank Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hole in fuel tank/Tank Removal

I went out to my truck yesterday and saw a small puddle of diesel under the front tank. After removing the skid plate from under the tank, I found a tiny spot (about the size of a ball point pen) dead center on the bottom of the tank that was oozing fuel. I drove it a couple of miles today to order a new tank and diesel began streaming out. Luckily I had something to put over the hole until I could get a gas can to drain the rest of the fuel into.......the tank was completely full too Has anybody ever seen this before? I have seen tanks rot out of rusted trucks, but mine was a Texas truck it's whole life and there isn't a spot of rust anywhere on the thing. Even the leaking tank looks brand new....I just can't believe it.

Also, I am going to be dropping the tank on Monday and was wondering if there is anything I should know or if anybody has any pointers (how to remove the fuel pickup etc.) before I start tearing into it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the front tanks are plastic. But i had to do the rear tank pita. But get fuel line disconnect tools little plastic things. Run the tank down below a 1/4 tank lighter.
just need a hammer and a screw driver if its gas dont use metal use brass tools. Sparks make it go boom!!! If diese just tap the lock ring to the left and it pops right out. Being plastic i think the unscrew use big pilers and loosen her up.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 AM

I have always had that problem under the straps. I got good at fixing them so they would never leak again. Take a screw that is begger than the hole (shouldent be a problem) put a o ring on it and tighten it into the tank. Then i wold take some brake clean clean around the area and put some of that 2 part epoxy puddy over it. They never leaked again. I also took a old set of car mats and cut them into strips and made new pads for the straps out of them found it way better than stock.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z250kid View Post
the front tanks are plastic. But i had to do the rear tank pita. But get fuel line disconnect tools little plastic things. Run the tank down below a 1/4 tank lighter.
just need a hammer and a screw driver if its gas dont use metal use brass tools. Sparks make it go boom!!! If diese just tap the lock ring to the left and it pops right out. Being plastic i think the unscrew use big pilers and loosen her up.
The front tanks are not plastic from the factory. They are steel and the front tank has a plastic cover on it.
Some people have luck finding some plastic ones that fit in.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, thanks for the info. It should make disconnecting everything a little easier. Ya, my front tank is definitely not plastic....looks like galvanized steel or something, but it does have a plastic cover on the front to protect it from rocks and stuff. I had already bought a new tank from autozone the other day so I'm just going to install it, but the screw with the o-ring sounds like a pretty good trick. It would be nice to find a plastic tank.....but I need to fix it fast. If it happens again I'll definitely look into that. Thanks again for all of the input!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 PM

i guess mine was replaced with a plastic one. But paint the tank before you install. with good paint not rustolem never had any luck with it.
por 15 or rustbullet
Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z250kid View Post
i guess mine was replaced with a plastic one. But paint the tank before you install. with good paint not rustolem never had any luck with it.
por 15 or rustbullet
What he said and give the bottom a good coat of some spray on rocker guard. Give it a little more protection
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM

I didnt have any luck with coating my tanks.
For 1 they are galvanized so most spray can paint wont stick unless you get a real good etching primer.
2-They are stamped with oil and it takes a lot of work to clean all the oil off because the rolling and stamping process actually creates micro-pores for lack of better terms which hold the oil.
3- most undercoating products will turn to complete gew-mess if they come in contact with diesel fuel.

If you want to put somthing on it find a really good industrial or automotive grade etching primer and prep the tank by spraying the hell out of it with brakeclean then get some wax/grease remover and wipe it with a wet towel and DRY IT WITH A DRY ONE. DONT JUST LET IT EVAPORATE.

Then put on a coating that is really tough. I was looking at this.Extreme Chassis BlackĀ® Satin 15 oz Aerosol

Thats my opinion, Or just find a plastic tank
BTW the new tank should have a new lock ring so dont feel bad about ripping out the old one, they rarely come out in one piece.

Best of luck
Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awsome, thanks for the advice. I live in southern California now so I don't think rust will really be that big of an issue. There isn't even rust on the tank that is leaking....just a tiny pin hole in the middle of an otherwise shiny galvanized tank. It's almost like there was just a bad spot in the tank that took 12 years to fail. Do you think it is worth trying to paint the tank since I live in a relatively warm and dry climate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.