Hard Decisions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Decisions

Okay guys, a super clean 97 F350 showed up at the local lot today and I was wondering a few things.

First off, there is an 01 F250 CCSB that is just down the street for 15K and I'm really familar with the New Body Style 7.3 and not so familiar with the OBS.

If you guys had to pick, would you pick OBS or NBS? And what should I look for in the 97 if I decide to check it out? Some specs on the 97:

Four Wheel Drive, Automatic, Regular Cab Long Bed. "Green Light" but I dunno what that means.

The 01 can be seen here

How's the aftermarket support for the OBS? Such as lifts, performance, styling and so on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would do the 01 because if your going to do bolt on mods they will respond easier mainly because the factory intercooler that the OBS doesn't have. Now if its going to be an all out built truck the 97 will have the forged motor but it will take more money to get it up to par compared to the 01.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm interested in a daily driver/tow-haul/show/race vehicle of sorts. One size fits all are hard to do, but doable none the less.

Now I love strength, my 94 Jimmy is an all cast-iron motor that will withstand anything I throw at it. The torque converter is a different story... but that leads me to here.

I understand that the OBS doesn't have an intercooler, but a 7.3 can be retrofitted into its place. My main concern is the aftermarket support of the OBS. I wanna step up into high horsepower, good looks, and dependability and kind of get away from the grocery getters and soccer mom vehicles.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

If you're gonna build it, a 7.3 is a 7.3. Just depends on how much you're gonna build it.

Turbo options are limited on the OBS, unless you replace the pedistal.

OBS injectors are 90CC, vs 130ishCC NBS.

17* HPOP in NBS, OBS 15*

Otherwise (minus the IC) they're pretty much the same motor.

So, if you're gonna replace things like that in the build, and you like the OBS, then go for it.

If you're lookin for something to chip, and maybe do a few other small things to. The NBS will give you a little more.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about exterior mods? Lifts, bumpers, cab lights, taillights, headlights and so on.

As far as engine mods, I'm thinking stuff like simple bolt ons. Nothing major yet like rebuilding the block and so on.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell View Post
What about exterior mods? Lifts, bumpers, cab lights, taillights, headlights and so on.

As far as engine mods, I'm thinking stuff like simple bolt ons. Nothing major yet like rebuilding the block and so on.
Ok, in my honest opinion, depending on the price of the 97, they are asking a little much for the 01. I have a 2000 crew cab which is comparable to the one you are wanting to buy, and I recently aquired a 96 with 80K less miles, and I'll be the first to tell you, the OBS trucks seem to be built a little better the the NBS, and I think mileage and price mean everything.

You can get a lot more performance products such as chips and such for the NBS, but I would go with price, condition and mileage before I would worry about mods. You dont want to set yourself up with a higher mileage truck for 6-7K more just because you can spend more money on it.

Jacob
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseladdiction11 View Post
Ok, in my honest opinion, depending on the price of the 97, they are asking a little much for the 01. I have a 2000 crew cab which is comparable to the one you are wanting to buy, and I recently aquired a 96 with 80K less miles, and I'll be the first to tell you, the OBS trucks seem to be built a little better the the NBS, and I think mileage and price mean everything.

You can get a lot more performance products such as chips and such for the NBS, but I would go with price, condition and mileage before I would worry about mods. You dont want to set yourself up with a higher mileage truck for 6-7K more just because you can spend more money on it.

Jacob
smart man id have to agree..... and a obs thats done right is more of a headturner than a nbs just because you see more of the new ones....at least where i live anyway
Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM

I like OBS trucks but im biased cause I own one. The aftermarket is basically the same for both models. Whats the mileage and price on the OBS? It is true that you see more NBS trucks all the time. The OBS is my favorite bodystyle of any truck by any manufactuer of all time....closely followed by 77-79 Fords.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't tell you honestly what the mileage of the OBS is yet. The dealer hasn't been around for me to get the keys yet and the odometer is a digital.

Its weird though... it has a dual tank system and yet its rated at 10000 lbs. I don't think I've ever seen a dual tank powerstroke before... but maybe that's because I've always looked at the newer style trucks.

I took some photos of the undercarriage and such but I'm having some issues in transferring them to the computer so I'll get them up when I can.

The underside of the truck, frame, wheel tubs and so on look like they've been coated in what I think is POR15 which is good... but the shocks up front are coated too.

Another plus is, I think the previous owner installed a transmission cooler because its sitting up front in front of the radiator but not held down.

It looks like a well kept truck. The interior is nice except for a few small cuts on the dash, stock everything. Power windows, power locks, sliding rear glass.

A dual-tipped exhaust on the passenger side with cat (although that might change if I get my hands on it ), decent tires, freewheeling hubs.

Motorcraft filter up front which either leads me to believe that the owner knew what he was doing or never changed the oil... the trailer hitch looked like it was never used and the connector was full of dust when I opened it.

On the outside, she looks good... but I haven't got behind it yet and I still need to access the funds to purchase it. Being 18 and getting insurance for the first time it costs ~1600 for six months of coverage including comprehension and collision coverage. It sucks being young.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 AM

My '95 F350 has dual tanks, and to my knowledge, the standard tow capacity for these make trucks is 10,000 lbs. (I've towed more, and I'm sure others have too). Gotta say, I love the OBS trucks, but I also like the NBS trucks too. I myself am very partial to the 7.3L/ T444E, I just love it.

As for insurance, the OBS truck "should" cost a little less due to age of the vehicle. But the NBS truck, being extended cab, would provide a sedan discount due to multiple doors. Check around with different companies, and get quotes for both trucks.

Shocks are insanely easy to change. If you don't encounter any issues anywhere, all 4 could easy be changed out in 30 min. or so. (providing of course you have the "few" tools required.

I beleive all the OBS trucks (at least the PSD ones) have tranny coolers. I'd look into hardware to properly mount it though. (no big deal though)

If you get the OBS, open up the intake and exhaust, and you'll really thank yourself.(the cat is a waste, and just creates extra, undue load/ backpressure)

The previous owner could have either taken the truck to the dealership for his oil changes, or he could have done it himself. You can get Ford Motorcraft oil filters and Ford Motorcraft oil at Auto Zone.

Mods......well.........the NBS trucks have a few more simple "bolt on" goodies available than the OBS trucks to. But, when it's all stripped away, it's really the same motor. (and a darn good one at that) A few "strategic" upgrades (i.e. new intake and new exhaust) will open up the motor, increase it's efficiency, and allow it to breath, and not have to fight itself just to run. Both the intake and exhaust can be done inexpensively, and are sort of the "starting points".

dieseladdiction11- had some TRULY EXCELLENT advice. Take this into strong consideration. Also, don't be in a "rush". Be patient, and the right truck will find you.

Hope all this helps.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.