Hello. Need advice with my first diesel purchase. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello. Need advice with my first diesel purchase.

Hello all. I found a 96' F250 with the 7.3 turbo that I really like. I took it to a mechanic to get it checked out this morning. He ran the computer check and found what he called very minor things. He said it had a slight miss while idleing. This was not on his computer but something he could hear and feel in the stick shift.
The truck had just been driven eight miles and was warm, however I could not tell how warm because the temp gauge was not working.

Now, finally to my problem and question. My mechanic told me that the miss could be caused by either an injector or a worn cylinder and that he could not check the injectors because the temp sensor was not functioning. He was able to "buzz" the injectors and that checked good.

Does that seem right? Could a miss be anything else?

The shop quoted me a price of $3200 for replacing all eight injectors with brand new non rebuilt ones.

The truck has 180,000 miles, ext cab, 4X4 and everything works except for the "little" miss and it could be mine for a total of $5800.

What should I do? Your help is appreciated.

Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: West Jordan UT, Currently working in Colo. Springs CO.
sorry i can't help you, but just hang in there and someone here who has done injectors will chim in help ya out, i am pretty sure though that you could do the injectors for a lot less than the shop quoted you.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Thank you.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Location: West Jordan UT, Currently working in Colo. Springs CO.
no problem, also welcome to the Org.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to tsteel
If he did a buzz test then it should not be the injectors. As far as the price for those new injectors that is way high!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well i just ripped out and rebuilt my injectors and got the pistons in them for stage 1's for about $350 but if you just want to rebuild yours it would be $250 but you would have to rebuild them yourself, you could also buy stage ones for around $900 and replace them yourself which isnt to hard at all and with stage 1's you wont see any difference in perfrmane unless you get a chip so you wont have to worry about your egts to much
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I have read a lot the past week about the 7.3diesel and I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable before I do anything other and regular maintanance. I've been into gas engines before but this seems like a whole different ball game.

Is there anything to look for to make the idle smoother?

As far as I know there has been no mods done to the truck other than a boost gauge and a pyrometer installed.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I have read a lot the past week about the 7.3diesel and I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable before I do anything other and regular maintanance. I've been into gas engines before but this seems like a whole different ball game.

Is there anything to look for to make the idle smoother?

As far as I know there has been no mods done to the truck other than a boost gauge and a pyrometer installed.
If it has those it might have had a chip at one time.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 PM

welcome to the org!

how bad is the miss? i would have said that about mine, but have been told that feeling is normal for my obs. so im not too worried. but agian, how bad is the miss... and is this guy a diesel mechanic?

if it were injectors i would seriously spend time in the tech section here and watch the injector replacement vids. you could save a ton if you learn to do it yourself like others said. that price for replacement if ne wis way high, and i wouldnt bother with new.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM

To tell you the truth I didn't even notice a miss in the engine.

The mechanic works in a shop that does nothing but diesel work.

The price of $5800 seems good according to the info I've found on the internet and I it's well within my price range.

What say you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.