Buzz Test- AutoEnginuity - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buzz Test- AutoEnginuity

Looking to buy 1996 F250 4X4 with at least one dead cylinder...
AutoEnginuity is not sure if 'BUZZ' test can be done on 94-98 PS engines, 99 and up yes...
Before spending $400.00 on software, would like to know what Powerstroke forum members experience using AutoEnginuity on 94-98's has been and software version.
Thanks
Rod

Last edited by roddy; 08-16-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a 96 F-250 that I use the Autoenginuity on, but you have to buy the Ford Expansion pack for it to work. The Powerstroke was not required to be OBD-II compliant because of the GVW restriction, so it uses its own protocol.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 PM

New to PSD - more questions
AutoEnginuity is shaky on what PSD's there software supports...
If I purchase Total Ford ScanTool Bundle #SP03 - Includes:
USB ScanTool (ST05)
Enhanced Ford Expansion

It should pull the codes and preform "buzz" test and display fault codes, etc?
Is it safe to add "Rislone Engine Treatment" to HPOP reservoir to free up sticky injectors? Rislone Engine Treatment
Engine defiantly is missing. There is no visible blow-by from the oil fill tube, so maybe its and electrical gremlin. Hence my inquiries on the "buzz" and injector tests
Local Ford dealer (separate diesel shop and location) will charge $85.00 to download codes & flash the PCM module to latest software version if required, to make OBED2 port active.

This is a great forum & even greater members!
Rod
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can test the injectors and harness for continuity. Valve cover harnesses can melt and open circuit, causing a missfire. I did a thread in the member repair write-ups section on how to "buzz" the injectors with a battery to see if the solenoids are functioning. I think I called it "Poor mans buzz test" or something like that. It's not 100%, but it may help you find the bug without shelling out a ton of cash.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Roddy check out ITP Diesel. A sponsor here. They have a pretty good deal on the AE product. In fact I am ordering up tomorrow. Give them a call with questions about the product. In the long run I feel it will be well worth the investment if you have a laptop to run it. I've never used the Rislone products. You would want to stay away from any additive that would cause foaming. I have used Prolong once or twice with good results. Now I use the Hotshots product. That along with a good quality synthetic oil (depending on mileage on the engine) would do you well. Your miss may well be a burnt harness or pin on the wiring that fires the injectors.

Last edited by pjwoolw; 08-17-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the help...
Purchased AutoEnginuity (total ford bundle) from one of this forums sponsors, ITP Diesel.
Hopefully the PS just has a electrical problem...
Will find out now!
Rod
Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just about to open the box from ITP.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ever find anything out?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up

The PO, has spent quite a bit on truck, new front end & tranny, but was vague on engine repairs (sure he spent a lot before putting it for sale).
Although it sounded and felt like it was running on 5 cylinders, it drove no better! On the good side the blow-by was almost non-existent, coolant was clean, good to -40, but the Ph was at 11.0
So i took the plunge and made an offer and it was accepted...
Figuring the problem was electrical / injection related.

Had couple problems...
1. Could not get Autoenguity to connect to ECU...

Went to Brown Brothers Ford to get more info...
They checked the VIN, it was bought new in Saskatchewan, had a couple of minor warranty claims. The last entry was from April 1995. Brown Bros. said that their have been several updates to to ECM, one of them initialized the OBD2 port.

Bought 2 new valve cover gaskets and 2 new under valve cover wiring harness's, from Brown Bros (they had them in stock). $$$

2.passenger side valve cover gasket looked like it had been damaged or someone made a Mickey mouse electrical repair repair to it.
Bought 2 new valve cover gaskets and 2 new under valve cover wiring harness's. Engine ran much better!
Changed oil & filter, vacuumed out high pressure oil pump reservoir and poured in 2 quarts of Risoline into high pressure reservoir.

After 10 minutes engine settled down and ran perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was it just an electrical problem?
Or was there a sticky injector?
Did the Risoline help?
Will never know...

3. Paid dealer $170.00 to use their "Thumb" to re-flash the ECU to latest update.
Autoenguity now works!

Engine still kept throwing random engine & tranny codes and setting 'check engine' lamp on, intermittently for months... but engine ran perfectly!

At Christmas the alternator quit charging. Put in a rebuilt exchange unit.
NO MORE CODES!

Have checked all the wiring and grounds, all looks good. Maybe some weird fault with alternator generating harmonics due to failed or failing diodes?
Maybe the alternator led previous mechanics astray in diagnosing problems.

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.