Biodiesel question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denton County
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Biodiesel question

Can the obs 7.3 run B100? There is a place on my way to my mom's that has B5 and B100. So what should I use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They will run just fine on 100% biodiesel, maybe better than with regular diesel, but it'll clean all the gunk out of your fuel system, so be ready to change the fuel filter. With 5% biodiesel, you won't have that problem.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first question is what are the price difference between B5 B100 and regular ULSD? If they are all the same, there isnot going to be any advantage to running a high concentration of Bio, but if B100 is cheapest or you want to "do your part for the environment" you are fine to run that too. OBS will run pretty much anything that has a flash point.

Here is another thread that will probably answer alot of questions you may have.

what blends of bio can i use in my 95 with no mods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denton County
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
My first question is what are the price difference between B5 B100 and regular ULSD? If they are all the same, there isnot going to be any advantage to running a high concentration of Bio, but if B100 is cheapest or you want to "do your part for the environment" you are fine to run that too. OBS will run pretty much anything that has a flash point.

Here is another thread that will probably answer alot of questions you may have.

what blends of bio can i use in my 95 with no mods
Thank!

As for the price its all the same!
Diesel $2.59
B5 $2.59
B100 $2.59

The only reason I wanted to run it is I heard it will clean my system and figured why the hell not try it if it wont hurt anything! So anyway long story short I put a fresh filter in the truck today and filled one tank full of B100 just to see what kind of crap it blows out.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canandaigua NY
Posts: 125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would love to see pics of the filter after running it let us know what kinda crap comes out. I would love to run bio in my obs but no one around me here in ny (that I know of) is selling bio yet. I have toyed with the idea of producing my own. I saw the episode of Trucks on Spike tv and they did it. the kits dont seem to be too complicated. anyone out there gotten the kits to produce their own bio? how do they work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Cowboy Up!!

 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hanford, CA/ Lizton, IN
Posts: 184
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OK ive asked this before, i found out if your truck is older than 97 it has fuel lines that will swell up and corrode ive checked with ford and they say the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denton County
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwood Ranch View Post
OK ive asked this before, i found out if your truck is older than 97 it has fuel lines that will swell up and corrode ive checked with ford and they say the same thing

Are you saying 97 and older or older than 97 meaning 96 and older? Also I could see this as a problem over time but not if you run it every once in a blue moon. I dont know maybe Im wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denton County
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kversch View Post
I would love to see pics of the filter after running it let us know what kinda crap comes out. I would love to run bio in my obs but no one around me here in ny (that I know of) is selling bio yet. I have toyed with the idea of producing my own. I saw the episode of Trucks on Spike tv and they did it. the kits dont seem to be too complicated. anyone out there gotten the kits to produce their own bio? how do they work?
I got this truck 3 weeks ago. I will get some pictures of the before and all along the way. Also I will take a picture of the Fuel Filter I pulled out right before I ran B100 in one tank. Of course I only put about 14 gallons in the rear tank so its not 100% Bio. And after this tank is empty I will take a picture of the filer I pull out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteel View Post
Are you saying 97 and older or older than 97 meaning 96 and older? Also I could see this as a problem over time but not if you run it every once in a blue moon. I dont know maybe Im wrong!
No Automotive manufacture will condone the use of more than B5or B10, because of the liablity. They can claim that someone brewing home BD will produce it to the quality of dino fuel and would be diagnosing multiple issues of bad fuel. If the quality is good, all the way up to 08 the trucks run it just fine. The chemical makeup and structure of the 08+ DPF is the issue for newer diesels.


My understanding was Powerstroke engines period had Bio compatible lines. The only line that I have seen any reaction to Bio are regular Goodyear rubber fuel lines. Parker seens to hold up well, and their blue silicone coated hose should be B100 compatable.

Regardless, not compatible hoses sweat over long periods of time, they dont just fail instantly, there is plenty of warning when the start sweating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denton County
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
No Automotive manufacture will condone the use of more than B5or B10, because of the liablity. They can claim that someone brewing home BD will produce it to the quality of dino fuel and would be diagnosing multiple issues of bad fuel. If the quality is good, all the way up to 08 the trucks run it just fine. The chemical makeup and structure of the 08+ DPF is the issue for newer diesels.


My understanding was Powerstroke engines period had Bio compatible lines. The only line that I have seen any reaction to Bio are regular Goodyear rubber fuel lines. Parker seens to hold up well, and their blue silicone coated hose should be B100 compatable.

Regardless, not compatible hoses sweat over long periods of time, they dont just fail instantly, there is plenty of warning when the start sweating.
So I should be fine if I run it just like once or twice a year basically? Its out of the way to get it so unless Im going that way like the other day I will not be pumping b100 in it on a regular basis. Maybe 2-5 times a year am I in the area and that would be the only time I would pump it in the tanks. So am I right on I shouldn't have a issue with the lines? At least in theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors