Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Biodiesel question

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tsteel 
#1 ·
Can the obs 7.3 run B100? There is a place on my way to my mom's that has B5 and B100. So what should I use?

#2 ·
They will run just fine on 100% biodiesel, maybe better than with regular diesel, but it'll clean all the gunk out of your fuel system, so be ready to change the fuel filter. With 5% biodiesel, you won't have that problem.

Dave

#3 ·
My first question is what are the price difference between B5 B100 and regular ULSD? If they are all the same, there isnot going to be any advantage to running a high concentration of Bio, but if B100 is cheapest or you want to "do your part for the environment" you are fine to run that too. OBS will run pretty much anything that has a flash point. :thumb:

Here is another thread that will probably answer alot of questions you may have.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/106651-what-blends-bio-can-i-use-my-95-no-mods.html

#4 ·
Thank!

As for the price its all the same!
Diesel $2.59
B5 $2.59
B100 $2.59

The only reason I wanted to run it is I heard it will clean my system and figured why the hell not try it if it wont hurt anything! So anyway long story short I put a fresh filter in the truck today and filled one tank full of B100 just to see what kind of crap it blows out.

Thanks for the info!

#5 ·
I would love to see pics of the filter after running it let us know what kinda crap comes out. I would love to run bio in my obs but no one around me here in ny (that I know of) is selling bio yet. I have toyed with the idea of producing my own. I saw the episode of Trucks on Spike tv and they did it. the kits dont seem to be too complicated. anyone out there gotten the kits to produce their own bio? how do they work?

#8 ·
I got this truck 3 weeks ago. I will get some pictures of the before and all along the way. Also I will take a picture of the Fuel Filter I pulled out right before I ran B100 in one tank. Of course I only put about 14 gallons in the rear tank so its not 100% Bio. And after this tank is empty I will take a picture of the filer I pull out!

#7 ·
Are you saying 97 and older or older than 97 meaning 96 and older? Also I could see this as a problem over time but not if you run it every once in a blue moon. I dont know maybe Im wrong!:dunno:

#11 ·
Ok fellas I ran a full tank of B100 through my tank with a fresh fuel filter. We all know what a stock filter looks like and what they look like new. So I am going to show you the filter I pulled before the fresh filter and B100. Then I have a picture after the B100. Then a side by side of the 2 old filters.

1)Bought this truck to fix up and pulled this out after having the truck for a week while doing fluid and filter changes!:Shocked::doh:

2)Filter after full tank of B100. Truck loved the B100 and ran like crazy:scuffy but unclogged every o-ring in the FPR and Fuel Filter Housing. So I replaced every o-ring with Viton o-rings tonight!:thumb:

3)Both filters side by side for comparison.:hehe:

I will take more pictures tomorrow with a new filter with those 2 to show the difference!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.