post #1 of 24 Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
ptp
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibrations = Egged Shaped Rims?

Been going through everything last 2 years
wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, rotors, calipers, RSK/springs, shocks, tires, pitman, etc.

and thought the new tyres (first full set of tyres in 10 years) would completely eliminate a 60-70mph vibe that developed in same period.

what else can cause a high speed resonant style vibe other than out-of-round rim?
been told that steel rims are the way to go as they can be straightened.
Alum. came w/truck and i'm sure that they are dinged=egged.

appears to be front end resonant vibes, NOT present on all roadways.
forums seem to all speak of some Ford death rattle present at some speed on SD's. et,. al.

the steer were cupped/feathered so bad, thought new tires would cure it.
but it's still there although not nearly as bad,
last 10 years I'd buy 2 new steer and put the crap to the back.

i keep asking guys who install/balance tires to check for roundness.
they always look at me strangely and say the balancing takes care of that.
wish I could find a load-dynamic balancer big truck shop around who knows what they are doing!

still tweeking all alignments but they seem good, my driveway is not level/twisted.

i'm going to replace the steering gear box soon, WANT to see how that tightens up the 18 year old system.
and found some OEM steel rims for $80 each new/thought I might try 2 of those up front (this is what I'm really hoping is the final cure>? or am i throwing yet more money at something?)

also, alum rim holes are so worn...everytime a tire is removed, aluminum material comes off on the studs when a kid does it, they just push and pull the rims against steel studs as if using a rasp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Thanked 1,037 Times in 1,002 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
While your cast rims may be your issue I will say
years ago I fought out of round rims for a year, Discount tire recommended and sold the rims and tires to me then when I had a high speed vibration issues and they stated it was not the rims and tires ( clement super 8 steel and Dick Cepeck fun country
i spent a ton of time and money looking for another reason I even had the tires trued

i went to discount numerous times and finally they said one rim was bad and they would warranty it but the new one made no difference in the ride issue

then i went back one last time and had them pull the tires and spin up the rims it was super obvious they were out of round then they stated someone had beat them with a hammer and they wouldn't cover them ( it was the MFG marks from when they w ere built ) so i had enough with their ridiculousness I bought new cast AL rims and was done with them ( I turned those rims in for scrap metal because I am not a douche who would sell someone problems

my point is twofold cast rims are easier to MFG true IMO and but if your at whits end have them spin up the rims and watch the bead seating area for high/low run out and also
see if it runs true side to side if nothing else you need to watch them spun up with the tire on if you don't want to dismount the rubber
you can see a lot with the naked eye

this is BS

Quote:
i keep asking guys who install/balance tires to check for roundness.
they always look at me strangely and say the balancing takes care of that.
and even a roadforce balance can only fix so much
ptp likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
ptp (01-02-2016)
post #3 of 24 Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would say to try the new rims in the front. If your last set of front tires we're cupped badly, and a new pair has greatly diminished the vibration, then you're getting close.

Get the tire shop to put your rear tires on the new rims and then rotate them to the front, so you can "start fresh" so to speak, whatever is going on here may have already compromised your new fronts.

Here's another idea, although very unsafe - put the truck on jack stands, put the truck in 4x4 and run her up to 70mph. Use a stethoscope or long screw driver and have a listen to various parts of the drive train. Desperate times call for desperate measures right?

One last note on the damaged aluminum rims, I've heard stories of aluminum rim repair guys being able to sleeve the lug holes with steel bushings to fix the damage caused by numerous removals and rubbing on the studs. I've never seen how this works, or what the finished product looks like.
ptp likes this.

2005 CCSB Lariat - studded, EGR delete, coolant filter, otherwise stock

**SOLD** 97 F250 ECSB: 5 speed, 4x4. 6637, D60, Beans compressor wheel, 3" DP, upgraded M-pact clutch and something always broken.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syndicated_cdn For This Useful Post:
ptp (01-03-2016)

post #4 of 24 Old 01-03-2016, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Do anything to the driveshaft?
post #5 of 24 Old 01-09-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
ptp

no, nothing ever done to either driveshafts....only use 4WD in snow.
even replaced those inner seals behind the knuckles, had a good look at front axles..hardly used.
also, have not done the rear wheel bearings....but seems it's up front issue..i'd even call it tire hop...
DRW will smooth out quite a bit.

can jacking up the vehicle from the diff/pumpkin cause issues?
i try to not do it, but tire shops don't hesitate..makes me cringe.

I got a confession today in person in Palm Springs:
they installed the dynamic balancing beads, 6oz bag per tire, looks more like dust.
but the machine for spinning them was/is broke.

i went ahead and had them mount up the new tires/rims w/said 6oz. bag of dust.
Equal ? How Does Equal Work?
same vibrations...but seems 10 ply need the next size up 8oz. vs. 6oz.

but loving the blackout for some reason...chrome just not my style.
can envision blackout zombie apocalypse.
chrome is starting to peel off the grill and other places, clearcoat peeling.....talking myself into paintjob next year(s)...
black seems so much easier than chrome, especially on those step rails, et. al!
although, now see rusted bits inside rim, lug nuts.....they need paint...once starting on cosmetics seems it can go on forever.
as if it isn't already...going on for ever.

SO, found a recommended local guru on the way home, appointment with him next week.
he'll spin them up for me, and I'll have another go at balancing.
he said he balances them normally and then uses the bag of beads to fine tune.
wasn't surprised i'm vibrating,
at 65-70mph, he says that's normally a rear end issue!

....so maybe it is a drive shaft/rear wheel bearing issue?
if the balancing doesn't work & all rims good ......i'll go in that direction?
which first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ptp; 01-10-2016 at 07:19 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm assuming you have a lift of some sort on the rear??? Generally from my reading (never done it since mine is stock suspension), you need to drop the rear driveshaft carrier bearing down about 1" for every 4" of lift. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
ptp

no,
no lift on rear (well less than 1") , front is raised to just level via RSK code X.

the vibrations are the same now as they were 2 years ago when it was still stock.

rear rims were on truck when I bought it in 1999 w/12,000 miles.
Sagon Motor homes in Georgia, was just back from deployment, visiting mom & dad....stumbled onto her...

an elderly couple had put 70k into her, then fell out of the back too many times.
they traded it in for a diesel pusher.
which is why it was sitting all alone amongst all these giant diesel pusher campers....winking at me!
paid 25k for the truck, camper 12.5 and I sold the camper for same price years later.

1999 w/215's pulling trailers across the country with that 4000lb camper in the wind.
lived in it for 2 years.found a cabin in the hills and stayed....

141k miles now,
....some really hard pounding, curb hitting, etc.

why I tried the new steel fronts; was told 10 years ago when putting on last set of complete new tires, there was a possible roundness issue.

1/11/16
tires balanced...turns out American Tire Depot didn't even put anything ON or IN the rear!
just front 6oz of silica dust.

front alum rims:
one really bad
other not so bad...
scrap yard destination!
glad I got new ones...

rear rims not so bad, but new ones will make even more of a difference, waiting on that as
65-70 mph comfortable now......so I'm calling it acceptable gotta do some trips now.

Got my new tires balanced at Fred’s tire Yucca Valley!
A really cool dude! His daughter works there!
let's you see what's going on in the shop
ever see a 90 lbs girl pulling tires off/on a duallie!
very impressive, tires came up to her belly

I will go there from now on & it's only 6 miles away!

Last edited by ptp; 01-12-2016 at 03:55 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
ptp

bring on the zombies.....

finally got the rear done today..mounted, balanced, then deflated and beaded 4.5oz.
had the rims spun up empty and they needed 0-1.25oz without tires!
with tires and powder coat max was 6oz, 5.5oz which I put inside rear.

ZMANN likes this.

post #9 of 24 Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
ptp

Update.......OBS 4000 Miles, Zombies Dispatched 13

still got vibrations 62mph plus, some folks would probably say it's normal

lowered tire pressure in rear DRW=50's,
they are quite stiff tires with no discernible 'sag' at 60 psi.
in camper mode, it's basically unloaded 500lbs ....

Front tires are feathering same as before (10 years) with other tires and before RSK and all other work performed.
everything gave some incremental improvement, but not a sudden Ereka moment esp. on bad paved roads.
She does great on dirt roads, some washboarded stuff just has to be crawled or the doorpanels vibrate, but others can skip along the tops at 50mph plus (those are some nice freshly graded fireroads).

Reading heavy trucks/DRW will always feather outside of steer tires?
seems for a good 10 years I've noticed this.
maybe if, I put 2000 lbs in the back it might smooth out.
  • overall stiffness/lack of give in sterling 10.5 w/B codes/helper springs DRW
  • tires are riding the waves in the sun-cooked tarmac like a stylus skipping on an LP album.
some roads not too bad others you can surely feel the ripples in the road.....
i may be just expecting something not possible...
but would almost love to find a problem in the rear wheel bearings or something i've never touched back there that would just smooth her out completely on "good paved roads" IF THEY EXIST.

gonna go see Corey at Fred's .. rotate ...ponder-n-gesticulate.
at least by having all the same rims I can rotate now w/o dismount.

maybe get him to jack up the rear and let me spin her up to 70mph out back of the garage whilst we all watch.....
any tricks to this....seems straight forwards to check rear.....

check the front axle spinning it up to....on jacks?

post #10 of 24 Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptp View Post
Just wanna throw in my 2cents. I assuming the spacers are new?
If not maybe them.
My dually cups and wears the outside tread also hopefully an alignment will cure it.

Good looking truck!

1972 Ford F100 5.9L FE Sport Custom Single Cab Long Bed 4x4 6" Rancho lift kit, 16x10 Pacer rims wrapped in Durango 315 75 R16.

1995 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3L PSD Super Cab Long Bed, everything stock, rims wrapped in Rocky Mountain Faulkens.

1994 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3L PSD Centurion Super Crew Cab Long Bed dual rear wheel, Alcoa Rims wrapped in Transforce H/T & Big Foot A/T

Young Gun, Proudly Serving So My Family and Friends can LIVE IN FREEDOM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode