96 f-350 Rebuilt Issues (first start) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 96 f-350 Rebuilt Issues (first start)

I have just replaced a head, therefore the injectors were removed and installed into the new head. I have heard from other people that these 94-98 powerstrokes have and issue hydro-locking. Since I have jsut spent alot of money on this, i would like to do anything in my power to prevent any issues. Also is there any other tips I can do to increase my odds of having a good trouble free start. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks In Advance

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hydro-locking is from fluids in the cyclinders.
leave the glow plugs out put the VC bake on with a few bolts and turn the motor over by hand a few times.this will push the stuff out the glow plugs hole.after that you can pull the #9 fuse and hit the keys a few times.the #9 fuse is the one that fires the injectors.

when you have it all back together fill the resavord with oil and crank it over for about 15-20 sec. at a time and wait 30 sec. before cranking again.to keep the starter from getting hot.after a few cranks check the oil level and fill again.don't be surprized if it takes sometime to get it started.
it took me 25mins one time to mine fired up.most of the time around 10-15 mins.have good batterys cause you will need them.also the truck will run rough and have long cranking time on tell you get all the air out of it.i always go for a ride down the highway to a town about 50 miles away.so when i get back i have 100 miles on it and all the air is gone.
hope that helps or make some sence
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM

i have a 96, it has yet to hydro lock on me.................
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 AM

You shouldn't have problem with hydrolocking if you are replacing the head. With the head off you should be able to vacuum/remove any fluids that are in the cylinders. Also one other way of evacuating the cylinders of fluids when just changing injectors is to connect 1/8 inch hose to a vacuum, remove the glowplugs and vacuum the liquids out. If you're gonna be in it that far might as well throw in some headstuds too Good luck have fun with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.