TW chip opinion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TW chip opinion

OK her it goes, I haul a big camper and want more power out of the old girl. Before I crap out the dough for a chip I really want to know the pros and cons. If I have more power will i have to worry about EGTs with the heavy tow tune? I really dont want to butch in an intercooler. As it is right now she pulls ok but not great, uphill I temp out and need to run about 20mph haulin about 8500lbs. On the highway when she gets up to speed (about 70-75mph)
she holds nice, temps about 1000-1100. I guess Im lookin for some definite answers to make my mind up. Any advice would be great. I have the credit card in hand ready to contact Stealth auto. Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Adding a chip without an intercooler will generally make egt's rise faster and therefore, be more of an issue. More fuel is being dumped into the engine which creates more heat. If you are already reaching the maximum temperature on the stock tune, I would be very careful about running it with a chip. I put a Banks intercooler on my truck and it makes a world of difference. In my opinion, if you want a better pulling truck, the solution is to do the chip and intercooler together.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:36 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you will prob see a lil bit higher egt's... you can do a IC kit for pretty cheap... few hundred bucks for the pipes, couple more for the y pipe and a used 7.3L IC for about 150 bucks or cheaper.... that will def drop your egt's

let me know if i can help answer anymore questions

-Raul

Last edited by Raul@Stealth Automotive; 08-05-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Is ther possibly an issue with my truck im missing if im temping out with stock pullin a load? Would 86in thw muffler help any? I have seen all the awesome write ups on an intercooler install and its not really something im looking forward to. Oh and Raul, You'll be hearin from me soon.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I doubt anything is wrong with your truck....those temps look about right for pulling 8,500 lb. The mufflers on our trucks are actually pretty good as far as restriction goes because they are a straight flow-through design. You can see right through them looking from the inlet to the outlet so they don't contribute too heavily to restriction. The cat is the real plug in the system that can cause egt's to go nuts.....but it looks like you have already taken care of that.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Well I did it, 6 POS on order. Went with econ,daily,tow,extreme,heavy tow, and high idle. Now all I need is an intercooler, crap when will it end
Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Munks, i like the quote at the bottom of your sig!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munks96stroker View Post
Well I did it, 6 POS on order. Went with econ,daily,tow,extreme,heavy tow, and high idle. Now all I need is an intercooler, crap when will it end
It NEVER DOES I really like my TW chip.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munks96stroker View Post
Is ther possibly an issue with my truck im missing if im temping out with stock pullin a load? Would 86in thw muffler help any? I have seen all the awesome write ups on an intercooler install and its not really something im looking forward to. Oh and Raul, You'll be hearin from me soon.
My dad has a 95. I put a 70hp 120ft lbs torque line chip on it. he had a "tugger" trans built for it. (thats what they call it...) and it would get kinda warm towing his 12k toy hauler over passes. He did the cat delete pipe and ran 4 inch strait pipe. Made a HUGE difference. wow. also a good intake will help. if you use mild tuning- like maybe a 4 pos chip- in your case i'd go with stock, hi-idle, 60 tow, 120 race? something to that extent. that way you have a 60 tow which will help a ton but wont make much difference with the egts. hi-idle will help to charge batteries or if you like to let it idle down after a hard pull to cool the trans it also helps. the 120 tune is sweet because you will blast some coal and go fast-but dont have to all the time, and stock because that is what your used to and may like it that way. Personally- I believe that after you feel your truck with a tune you will never go back to stock. Even if you have to keep your left eye pealed onto your EGT gauge. lol. Shifting is better, and overall driveability is better. I LOVE MY TW TUNES.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM

To the OP,

I just did a Banks I/C on my truck and haul heavy like you. I have a Beans D66 turbo, and I can tell you this, adding the chip will give you more HP, but that IC will give you the room on the pyro to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.