What To Do.. keep it or Sell it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What To Do.. keep it or Sell it?

I have a great running truck.. Shows 225k on the odo, auto a/c XLT that is clean and issue free. Diablo Chip and K&N filter. Everything works good on this truck..

After reading this site and seeing the issues these things have I am wondering if I should keep it or trade/sell it off?

I can't afford to have it break down on me as I use it for daily transportation.

Are these that prone to issues? I do not hot rod it and have no plans for any more hp improvements..

Has new batteries, water pump, tensioner, belt, alt, fan clutch , tires and rims and all new brakes... very dependable right now...

I hate to get rid of it and wish I didn't.. But I am worried about injector problems and so on...

What is your opinion?

Here are a fe wpics of the truck...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Real nice truck! I wouldn't think you have any trouble selling it. I think you probably have a few years of good service left. The injector o-rings or harnesses that fire them are likely at some point to fail. As well as glow plugs. But maybe not. Hold on to it. You won't regret it. I'll never sell mine.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM

I just went through this myself.
Mine has a number of mods and I use it to tow/haul very heavy.
Recently, the turbo seals failed, and the PCM failed, which is unusual.
I seriously considered selling it, even had the signs on an ads out.
I changed my mind.

The newer trucks are nice, but not to the point I want to spend 25k plus on a new used one. The registration is more, the insurance is more, and here in California they are planning to start smogging diesels in January.
All trucks made after Jan '98.
So, my '97 will be exempt.
I spent about 2k on it buying an upgraded turbo and having it and injector o-rings installed. I am putting a Banks I/C on it.
I will keep it, continue to do an upgrade here an there, and spend my precious and few play dollars on my other projects instead of a truck payment.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

personally

UNLESS you want a new truck spending the money to have youre gone through and replace worn parts is still cheaper than buying a new truck. besides the truck payment the insurance is usually lower on older trucks.
225K miles is nothing on a truck these days. hell even gas trucks last that much. i had a 89 GMC sierra and it currently has 340 000 miles on the original motor. the most major thing it needed was a trans rebuilt at 160 000 abd the obvious brakes, readiator alternator shocks and i did the rear gears and added a LS.
i gave it to my wifes son.
Unless you want a new truck keep it. Cheaper than getting a new or a newer used truck.
Nice truck BTW i like that body style
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh no.. I do not want a new truck.. i was thinking of trading it even for something else... Maybe a car or Gas burner pickup...
Old 07-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
Oh no.. I do not want a new truck.. i was thinking of trading it even for something else... Maybe a car or Gas burner pickup...

keep it. jsut save up for those repairs when they come. or better yet, do preventative maintenance on them when you have the time so it doesnt come unexpected or inconvienient. even a rental during repair is still less than a car payment. i have 283k on mine and it runs great. i know guys that ave more nnd no complaints. sure seals and stuff are prone to fail but in what vehicle arent they? as an added bonus, you already know whats been replaced on this truck, so you know what you wont have to replace in the near future. if it were me, i would regret getting rid of my truck. but thats me.

or go on craigslist and get a cheap car to put around in and keep the truck.

lastly, a ton of people come here when they have problems. most of them never would join this site just to be here unless there fanatics like some of us. so your seeing an unfair ratio of problems when you read fourms like this.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 07-30-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
shaking things up

i have a 96 with just over 264,xxx on the ticker and i use it as a TRUCK and take it to pulls and haul/tow with it on a regular basis. i am the third owner of the truck and a landscape company owned it b4 me and i have had very few problems with it mostly ones i create beating on it lol. KEEP IT YOU WONT REGRET IT!!! these are great trucks and will last a REALLY LONG TIME if you take care of them even if you dont they will still last a long time!!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I can see maybe a gas burner but switching from a truck to a car is gonna be a real change. I personally will never go to a car as my DD or long haul. ill get one as a sunday driver special day or something like that. I seriously dont think youll be happy with a lot of the gas trucks out there. unless you get a V8 motor. LOL I probably will never go back to a gas powered truck for my personal use. I get better mileage out of this F250 i have than I got out of my v8 dakota. The dakota had a little more pep ( stock for stock) when you hit the gas but i can deal with what i got.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a big change for me going from my Dodge to this truck. It rides better and has colder a/c but that is about it... The cummins is a much smoother motor and th epower... what can I say.. Mine made 602 at the rear wheels... and 1148 tq..

Maybe I just need some time to adjust.. I just got the tag and title in my name today...
Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
This is a big change for me going from my Dodge to this truck. It rides better and has colder a/c but that is about it... The cummins is a much smoother motor and th epower... what can I say.. Mine made 602 at the rear wheels... and 1148 tq..

Maybe I just need some time to adjust.. I just got the tag and title in my name today...
So are you comparing a stock truck to a modified one? Little unfair dont you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.