Transmission oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission oil

I am changing the transmission oil on my truck, which oil do you suggest; Motorcraft ATF Mercon V or Pennzoil ATF Mercon? I like to use Motorcraft ATF Mercon but we know this oil has been phased out and hard to find. Also, when I took the oil pan, I noticed there were some metal shavings around the magnet in the pan…Where are they coming from and would they be sign of problems or concern? The transmission otherwise shifts well and I have had no issues with it so far.
Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

first some metal shavings are normal. Was the tranny rebuilt? Because theres an seal that doesnt hold up to synthetic fluid unless the rebuild it. When i had my tranni flushed before i rebuilt it, the fluid was dark brown/black. Bas sign so 5 months later my tc was slipping dropped it and now im running full synthic moblie one atf nice stuff and uprgaded the cooler.

Change the oil filter,clean the magnet run what was in it before if unknown then try to find out what the privous owner had in her.

Hoped this helped
Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 PM

no it's not rebuilt, the color of the oil was red, the reason I took the oil pan out because it was leaking, so i bought a new oil gasket and filter from the dealer, so I guess I will try full synthetic mobile atf. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i wouldnt because you dont have the updated seal in it. It might casue a leak napa is pretty good the thicker fluid is sometimes better.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM

If you have a Hydrotex dealer in your area I humbly suggest talking to him about their Hy-torque ATF. It is a non synthetic pure-base stuff, my trans guy swears by it. I have it in my truck and saw a 15 degree drop in the temp when towing. We used to have an old motorhome with a 454/Turbo 400 and a mechanical gauge. We switched it over and I saw an honest to pete 20* drop in trans temps.
That sold me.
It is in all of my family's automatics.
FWIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.