'96 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 no start

Howdy All,
I'm a newbie here. I have a 1996 f250 4x4. I bought the truck non running. First thing I did was change the cps ( I had a spare from another truck). No help. I checked the hpop pressure and it was zero. There was oil in the reservoir, so I changed the hpop. Truck started and ran great. I let it sit and idle for about ten minutes and then it just died. Would not start again. I changed the cps back to the original ( tach moves while cranking) and still no start. I checked the fuel pressure and it wouldn't come up past 10 psi. I installed a new pump and cleaned the vent orifice filter along with the filter bowl. Filter is new and bowl fills. Fuel pressure is back to around 48psi while cranking. The one thing that stands out is whenever I'm cranking the engine, the B+ side of the gp solenoid smokes. The check engine light does not stay on and the wait to start light works normally. The batteries aren't the best, but they crank pretty good with a charger on them. Any help will be appreciated.

Denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think tme motor has to turn a good 300 rpm to fire properly. think your hitting that? no fuel leaks?

i see your in MO too. when you have time head to the missouri section of this forum and become a member of the show-me strokers!

and
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've heard that the engine needs to crank at around 600 rpm and maintain 10.4 volts at the battery. With a full charge on the batteries, I'm pretty sure I'm spinning the engine at least 600 rpm. No fuel leaks. I've got the down pipe off the turbo right now and noticed I'm not getting any smoke. I also checked the ucv connections outside the valve covers. Since it started and ran so well for ten minutes, it's really got me baffled. Thanks for the MO. info.
Denny
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM

your right,i think its 600 now that you mention it. no idea, when others start chiming in im sure youll get your answer. outside of a loose connection somewhere im not sure. but it sound slike youve been through that.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Try switching your IDM relay with another one and see if that helps. You really need a code reader to do much good.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
your right,i think its 600 now that you mention it. no idea, when others start chiming in im sure youll get your answer. outside of a loose connection somewhere im not sure. but it sound slike youve been through that.
Seems like i've been through it all, but i know i've just begun. I haven't done a buzz test yet. I figure that's probably the next step. Probably going about this in reverse order. I didn't pull any codes from it yet. If there's codes stored, will the cel stay on?

Denny
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkerley View Post
Try switching your IDM relay with another one and see if that helps. You really need a code reader to do much good.
I switched the relays right after it quit running. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Denny
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM

depends on the codes. My IDM relay went bad and it threw codes. But, never lit the CEL. All of the relays on mine are the same. So, I just switched them around and it fired right up.

Nevermind, we were posting at the same time.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, all the relays are the same on mine too. I'm still trying to figure out if the B+ stud on the gp solenoid smokin would have anything to do with this.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.