New Tire Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Tire Advice

I did a search, so I know this has been asked 100 times. I couldn't find anybody replacing stock tires so I'm trying my own post. I need a set of LT235/85R16's. I live in the south (north west florida) and most of my driving will be on the road and most of the towing I do is pulling a large boat (5000 lbs+) with maybe a 5th wheel load every blue moon. My truck is a 4x4 so I want a tire that will perform relatively well in the sand. Moderate winter performance would be a plus, I like to be prepared and I never know where I will end up next. Oh yes, I want good value as well. I'm not looking for a fancy or flashy tire, I will not pay for that. I will pay for quality and performance however.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naby View Post
I did a search, so I know this has been asked 100 times. I couldn't find anybody replacing stock tires so I'm trying my own post. I need a set of LT235/85R16's. I live in the south (north west florida) and most of my driving will be on the road and most of the towing I do is pulling a large boat (5000 lbs+) with maybe a 5th wheel load every blue moon. My truck is a 4x4 so I want a tire that will perform relatively well in the sand. Moderate winter performance would be a plus, I like to be prepared and I never know where I will end up next. Oh yes, I want good value as well. I'm not looking for a fancy or flashy tire, I will not pay for that. I will pay for quality and performance however.

Thanks
i got yokahama geolander a/t for 109 a tire threw discount tire
Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Discount tire direct is a site sponsor and they will ship them free. I have nitto terra grapplers on mine but for the sand i recomend their dune grapplers
Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 AM

i have yokohamas. i forget what model at the moment, they are stock pizza cutters too. they have been great road tires, but near the last 20% their life i had a blowout then a flat a week later. but again, dont know which model. i want a set of Goodyear Silent Armors, but until i get a nicer truck im probably goign to do Michelin's. i have had two sets on another truck and liked them.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are BFG A/T KO's more aggressive than I need?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naby View Post
Are BFG A/T KO's more aggressive than I need?
yes. they are great tires the first 50% of their tread life though. you wont get stuck anywhere. the last 50% however they are complete and utter turds. dry traction even sucks. i have had two sets on two trucks, i wont be getting them again unless they present a great deal. (edit: imho, i think it has to do with the tread design, when they wear that far i dont think they flex like they are supposed to on contact anymore.)

if you like those, take a look at the Goodyear SilentArmor. thats what i want on my next truck.

but to answer your question, they are more than you need, but there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Now bfg commercial traction at is a quality tire. about 120+ but they are 50,000 mile tire with great reviews for harse winters.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all the info.

The guy at my tire store recommended Toyo Cross Country AT's if I didn't want to spend the money for the BFG's and/or I wanted a less aggressive pattern. Any experience with those? I've yet to own any Toyo brand tires and I'm always a little leery of unfamiliar brands.

I really like the Goodyear SilentArmor tires but they are a little more than I want to spend. If my truck was my daily driver I'd get those in a heartbeat.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ended up getting the SilentArmors after all, a local shop had a sale. I had them do an alignment check and they told me that the bushings on the front end need to be replaced. Is it the bushings that wear out up front or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.