Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Programmers...

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  forthehalibut 
#1 · (Edited)
Are there any programmers,tuners that you can just plug in and have the ability to monitor your trans temp, boost and pyro along with selecting different HP levels like the newer trucks have that will work on our OBS?

I know you will need to get the sending unit for the tranny and the pyro.

Mine is a 95 F250 PSD all stock....

Thanks,

#2 ·
I was looking at the Edge programmers at the 4 Wheel Parts Expo this last Saturday. I want to get the CTS once I get my own F 350. Teh CTS is a touch screen that is big and easy to see and play with. It can monitor everything you listed, and comes with the EGT thermometer to install into your exhaust. I think they go for around $500.
Edge Products: Home

#5 ·
Does anyone make anything like this where you can just monitor and not have any programmer on it? I was looking into the SCT dashscan but not sure if I can monitor trans temp with it. I can monitor what ever the pcm does with it and check dtc. It plugs in at the OBD2 port and costs right at $400 with the egt probe. Seems like a good deal for what it can do. What do you guys think?

#9 ·
I agree with Matt. Nothing compares to the custom tunes.... and I have had generic and custom on my truck.

#11 ·
Nothing wrong with them exactly, you just arent gonna see the kind of performance and power out of them as you will a custom tuned chip, and edge is known for taking out trannies on these trucks. For custom tunes there are many places. TW, DP, PHP, BDP, Swamps, BTS, Gearhead, etc.

#12 ·
Do you go to a shop to get a custom tuned one to your truck? What do they do that the programmer's don't, and how much more power/torque/mileage do you get? I thought the you get the programmers to put in specifically what you need your truck to do at that time (towing, mpg, squirrel squishing, etc). How do they (both the Edge and the custom chips) kill the trannies? I will be getting a PSD with a manual.

I am still learning--I appreciate the info!!:thumb:

#13 ·
You dont have to go to a shop unless you want live tuning, basically you chose what programs you want, list the mods you have and the chip will be tuned specifically for those mods. Also they are on flip chips so you can change tunes on the fly, no need to plug in a programmer to upload a different tune. With an OBS with just a chip youll see gains of 60hp or so max, thats the limit for the stock injectors. they can kill trannies from beating on the truck, the transmissions are made to handle stock power, nothing more so if your modding they wont last forever, but with a manual you should be just fine with just a chip, that was directed towards autos

#15 ·
I can understand that somewhat. :nod:

However, whether it is a custom chip or a programmer, they both plug into the OBD port, and the truck's computer (MAF, etc) reads the new air flow from the mods one may have on there, so how much better is a tuned chip vs a programmer like Edge? What happens if you do another mod after you get the chip--do you end up paying another $400 to get it re-tuned?

Are the custom tunes about the same $$ as the programmers? I saw the Edge ones for around $400 at the 4x4 Expo in Denver, and they came with the EGT probe.

#16 ·
I can understand that somewhat. :nod:

However, whether it is a custom chip or a programmer, they both plug into the OBD port, and the truck's computer (MAF, etc) reads the new air flow from the mods one may have on there, so how much better is a tuned chip vs a programmer like Edge? What happens if you do another mod after you get the chip--do you end up paying another $400 to get it re-tuned?

Are the custom tunes about the same $$ as the programmers? I saw the Edge ones for around $400 at the 4x4 Expo in Den
ver, and they came with the EGT probe.

The edge programmer doesn't compare to any of the custom tunes. Yes you would have to pay for gauges or other monitoring device and a chip. It is well worth it too. Stuff like edge has generic tunes for all trucks. The custom tunes are specifically for your truck with your mods. That way everything works together as a package.
Nick

#18 ·
I appreciate all of that, guys! When I finally get a 350 Crew Cab PSD, I would want to put my money down on what will give me the best performance and allow me to change as necessary while going down the road. Looks like the chip is it!! :headbang1:

Now I just need to find someone selling a good one again who won't sell the truck out from under me after we already made a deal!:blast2::badidea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.