E40D questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E40D questions

Today I talked to an area transmission shop about my E40D and how the 2-3 shift is really hard when the O/D off light is flashing. Also I said something about when it's in the safe mode besides the hard shift it normally shifts early, but when the code has been cleared it shifts great and runs out good.

He said that why the tranny is shifting early is because since the PCM hasn't been programmed for the 35" tires that it is confused about the speed how it should shift so it shifts early. He said the cure for this is to get a programmer such as a bullydog or hypertech and dial it in for the bigger tire size and it should shift better. Then he asked what all mods I had done to it and after I mentioned the straight pipe, he said that since it has less back pressure that the computer could be confused and making it shift strangely possibly.
What do you guys thing about that?
Do I have to get a programmer or could I have somebody program it for me without having to purchase a programmer of my own?

When we talked about the tranny, he said since it's got almost 206k miles and is begining to throw a fit that it might be a good thing to go ahead and rebuild it and build it up with a certain few new planetary gears, a billet TC, modded pump, a shift kit and a few other things. There is a 3 year warranty on his rebuilds he told me. He said that if I pulled it and took it in to him it would be between 1200-2000 depending on what he found inside of course and if I had him do it all it would be in the low 2's.
Does this seem fairly reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think its bull for the exhaust but the rest makes sense.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 PM

The exhaust no way.

The rebuild price is reasonable. but I think I'd get another opinion on what needs done.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:04 PM

I didn't think the exhaust had anything to do with it.

I talked to a different tranny shop (Royal Transmission) a few days ago and he said that they'd do basically the same for $2500 min.

A couple months ago when the main problem started, I talked to Wenger Transmission and he quoted me $1400 but he didn't go into any details about the rebuild.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM

man that is bs on the reasons. What code is it thoughing? if it is a slip between shifts of long shift then that would make the trany shift hard do to the fackt that it will use full line pressure. and the early shifts could be do to fact that the tranny dont want to slip so it will shift before you build power. and when you get the thing rebuild you should tell them to put the bigger od clutch pack i thing it makes it a 8clutch pack rater then the stock 4clutch pack. with a good shift kit and good tc you should be good.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM

i'm not sure what the exact code was but it said it was a generic slip code
Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 PM

If you take it to a good tranny shop they after you get the code to come back they will be able to tell you exatly what the problem is.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Belive it to be B.S. also.....Myself and others I know are running 33/35/38 inch tires and have no trouble with the trans.... the turbo creates the backpressure, so the guys idea of not enough back pressure due to straight piping is a crock! Have the codes pulled by a good trans shop. You may have a torque converter slipping....their known for it...I wouldnt rebuild it unless need be. As you have priced, it gets costly.
I've got around 2300.00 in just the rebuild... but its garanteed for 3 years...and anything I can throw at it.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Could just a bad TC cause only one hard shift when in safe mode?

One other thing that one of the tranny shops mentioned is that there is a spring on the accumulater that can break after time and make the line pressures to do weird things.

In the future I'm plannin on building up my truck by installing an intercooler, big injectors, HPOP, and custom chip to name a few. I really want my transmission to be working properly and able to handle quite a bit before I begin expecting alot of it.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Then you'd be wise to save your money and get a built trans from John Wood or BTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.