I hope it gets better - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I hope it gets better

So, I was heading into the mountains last weekend hauling my new 32ft travel trailer, Grizzly, generator, and 2 coolers of beer on ice in the bed, wife and kids in the cab. Probably about 7500- 8000 lbs (not counting the rig). I was about 5 miles from the property when the wife notices a funny smell. I slow down and am enveloped in smoke. HOLY SH!T the trucks on fire!. Well luckily the truck was not on fire. The trans return line on my sweet aftermarket cooler had popped off spewing about all 18qts of trans fluid all over, well, everything. I had no signs that the trans was going to give out. I ran for about 2mins before I stopped. So there we are on a dirt road in the rockies with a trans that has puked all its life blood. I ponder my corn holeing situation as I crack a cold beer and look at me 3/4 full quart of trans fluid.Cut to 3 hours and daylight gone later. My brother bails me out after I hiked about 2 miles before I was able to get a bar on my cell. We haul a$$ to wally world where I proceedto buy the place out of trans fluid. Long trip back to the rig with me pounding beers praying that I didn't just fry my trans. We fill the rig with about 2 gals of trans fluid and fire it up. Run through the gears and top it off. Old girl starts pullin like a champ and we make it to the property. Since then I have made it home and have driven for a week without any apparent damage to the trans. The temp never got above 210. So what do you think? Am I in the clear? My concern is the tranny going out but I guess I'll find out on our next trip into the rockies. I still have trans fluid seeping out of the fins and pan of the radiator even after pressure washing hehe. Well as I crack another beer, here's to the E4OD trans and the hope that it lasts till I upgrade to a 08F350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 PM

do a oil analysis. is the trans cooler hoses clamped on with a hose clamp? If so, double clamp or get rid of the hose clamps and use a jic or sae -6
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think I would have drove the Grizzly instead of hiking 2 miles!!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
as long as it never started slipping b4 u stopped your probly fine.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
I think I would have drove the Grizzly instead of hiking 2 miles!!
LOL I would have if i could of gotten it out of the truck, camper and beer were in the way. I tried to clear the beer as fast as I could but the camper was another problem Thanks for the insight, Trans didnt slip once. i probably will do an oil analisis. where can i send a sample? And how much? I'd like to do an engine oil as well to see how its doin with 138k on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.