coolant overflowing from overflow head gaske tblown? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant overflowing from overflow head gaske tblown?

this just started recently but it dosnt happen all the time, one day i was driving down the highway and coolant started pouring out of th over flow and the truck overheated i filled it up and changed the t stat and continued down the road everything was fine. it happened again a couple days later and i did the same thing. then i took the old t stat and cut it wipe open and put it back in the truck it never happned again while the open t stat was in. i just put the new t stat back in a month ago and no problems at all. now yesterday i left my house and the truck started to overheat. i kinda knew wat was goin on so i took it easy filled the syatem up with water and drove home no problems. today i start the truck and immediatly the antifreeze starts pouring out the overflow i wated till the t stat would open but it never did i guess there wasnt enough fluid, shut the truck off and started writing this thread. is there anyway this could not be a head gasket. i dont understand how it can run fine for hundreds of miles then all the sudden act up then run right again and then spew the antifreeze out again. new water pump was installed couple years ago also. and it doesnt spew the coolant out wen its hot it will usually do it on start up wen engine is cold.

Last edited by DANA60F250; 07-08-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: correction on statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

one way you can test for a head gasket is to check for exhaust gases in the coolant system. this is done with a exhaust gas tester. now away to find out which head it is. you'll need to pull the stat and leave the upper hose and water outlet off. remove the fan belt. fill with water until it comes out the t stat hole. start the truck and have some one hold the rpms around 2300. look for bubbles coming out the water outlet. note which side they are comin from. it will indicate what side is blown.

another suggestion before you look for a head gasket test. check the block pressure while running at rated speed. this is full throttle no load. you should have around 30+ psi. you can check this with a oil pressure gauge at the block. should be a pipe plug or drain **** some where on the block.

always check the stat for proper operation. put the stat in a pan of water, start to heat water. put a mechanical water temp gauge in the water and note when the stat has FULLY OPENED, not when it starts to open.

Another thing to test is the delta t's of the radiator. there should be a 35+ degree difference from outlet to inlet of the radiator. you can check this with a temp gun. you can get a cheap one from harbor freight tools. If the temps are lower check the air flow through the front of the rad. should be 1800+ cfm at rated engine speed with fan locked on. Note the radiator delta t test is done at 100% engine load at rated speed.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

darn resivoir cap was bad and not holding pressure 10 bucs at ford. i was pullin my hair out hopin it wasnt something expensive. thanx for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.