exhaust leak help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust leak help

I have an exhaust leak somewhere up front. I cannot see or feel it. When I turn on the heat, the smell in the cab is real bad. My fuel economy is down and so is the power a little. It has been suggested that the cross over pipe may be the problem. I have also been told that the transmission has to come out to replace this pipe. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek
I have an exhaust leak somewhere up front. I cannot see or feel it. When I turn on the heat, the smell in the cab is real bad. My fuel economy is down and so is the power a little. It has been suggested that the cross over pipe may be the problem. I have also been told that the transmission has to come out to replace this pipe. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike.
it is easy to diag. look over the trans....you will see a pipe come out of each manifold and they go up and meet in another manifold right before the turbo...hence the Y pipe....even though its upside down Y.....if you see a lot of black soot where the pipes go into the manifold where they meet....thats your leak...the passanger side one is a little tough to see....since the exhaust downpipe comes down and makes it tough to see.....and as far as replacement.....you have two options.....the trans removal or pulling the turbo.....i would opt for pulling the turbo......PM me if you find this leak to be the case and i will help you get the turbo off and help you order the right parts for the repair....if this isnt the problem....let us know and we will try to help you figure it out further....also....usually the power and fuel econom y loss from an exhaust leak, even before the turbo is minimal, so unless you find a TON of black soot...you may have something else to look at...but one thing at a time is usually the best diagnostic method......Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.