Door seals/Door pins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Door seals/Door pins

Im getting air coming through the cab with the windows all the way up... its coming from both front doors around the seal..

When i open the doors i can pick up on them and they are definitely loose a little bit, i close them (just till they touch the cab) and the body lines are way off (the door sits down lower than its supposed too) but then when i shut it all the way the door goes up where its supposed to be (im not sure if that makes sense)

Could this just be bad pins in the hinges? I want to fix the air coming through the cab its very annoying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can get new hinge pins/bushings at a place like napa. You'll need a helper to hold the door while you replace the bushings after you knock out the old pins.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
You can get new hinge pins/bushings at a place like napa. You'll need a helper to hold the door while you replace the bushings after you knock out the old pins.
But do you think this will help???
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
But do you think this will help???

cant you just adjust them? my drivers is also sagging... I need to take a look at it.

I thought I read in my repair manual that u can re-adjust the pins and such to bring the doors back to "normal"
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Worn door pins are a common problem with trucks made before 1998. VERY COMMON. You can buy hinges from ford for about 100 dollars a pop... You'll need two per door.

I know places like NAPA sell door pin kits, where you replace the pins in the hinges, but I have never used them, I have replaced two sets of door hinges though. Bymyself too lol

But, open your door, and grab the bottom corner of the door, and place your other hand above the handle, near the bottom of the window on the EDGE of the door, and lift with your hand on the bottom. If the door moves ANY, you need new pins/bushings. My 82 is starting to go. The way you described it, your pins are worn.

As for the seal, get yourself some, I think its 3/8" tubing. Flexible tubing, for like water or heater hose the water may not be flexible enough, and shove into your door seal with ALOT of lube, or soapy water. The door seals become compressed over time, and dont seal as well as they used to. I know in the mornings, when its cool, I can see daylight out of my drivers door between the cab, and door near the back. I have been wanting to put the tubing in my door seals for some time, but never got around to it. I saw it posted somewhere that someone did it to their truck and it worked for the air coming in. I hate the noise that goes with it too.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Worn door pins are a common problem with trucks made before 1998. VERY COMMON. You can buy hinges from ford for about 100 dollars a pop... You'll need two per door.

I know places like NAPA sell door pin kits, where you replace the pins in the hinges, but I have never used them, I have replaced two sets of door hinges though. Bymyself too lol

But, open your door, and grab the bottom corner of the door, and place your other hand above the handle, near the bottom of the window on the EDGE of the door, and lift with your hand on the bottom. If the door moves ANY, you need new pins/bushings. My 82 is starting to go. The way you described it, your pins are worn.

As for the seal, get yourself some, I think its 3/8" tubing. Flexible tubing, for like water or heater hose the water may not be flexible enough, and shove into your door seal with ALOT of lube, or soapy water. The door seals become compressed over time, and dont seal as well as they used to. I know in the mornings, when its cool, I can see daylight out of my drivers door between the cab, and door near the back. I have been wanting to put the tubing in my door seals for some time, but never got around to it. I saw it posted somewhere that someone did it to their truck and it worked for the air coming in. I hate the noise that goes with it too.
I got the pin kits for like 9.00 per kit at carquest down the road from me. I have yet to put them in because i need to figure out how to get the old pins out first lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.