clay bar/waxing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
clay bar/waxing

I am going to wash/wax/ and clay bar my truck tomorrow when its nice out (first time for clay bar)

Any hints or tricks to it? Should i wax then clay bar or clay bar then wax?

Has anyone done this recently to a 4 door long bed OBS recently? how long did it take and lets see some pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Wash, Clay bar, then wax. Great stuff that clay bar is. Makes it smooth as glass
Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstephennix View Post
Wash, Clay bar, then wax. Great stuff that clay bar is. Makes it smooth as glass
thats all i've heard! I am excited to see what it comes out like. It shines well after just a wash, but it should REALLY shine after a wax....

Any suggestions as to what wax to use after i've clay barred? I usually just go with maguires
Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstephennix View Post
What he said^

Make sure you have the whole day free to do this. It takes forever
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
What he said^

Make sure you have the whole day free to do this. It takes forever
Yeah thats what i was afraid of! I have plenty of time though. Im in high school and i get out of class at noon everyday... and a big barn with lights at home so i can go all night if need be
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
thats all i've heard! I am excited to see what it comes out like. It shines well after just a wash, but it should REALLY shine after a wax....

Any suggestions as to what wax to use after i've clay barred? I usually just go with maguires
I usually use Mothers or Meguiars. The Clay bar Kits usually come with a bottle of wax
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
I usually use Mothers or Meguiars. The Clay bar Kits usually come with a bottle of wax
Okay but im assuming the bottle wont be enough that comes with the kit?

But as far as different kinds of wax after clay barring it i dont need a cleaner wax or anything right? Just a high shine or whatever they call the common wax? (i know they make different kinds for different applications)
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
Okay but im assuming the bottle wont be enough that comes with the kit?

But as far as different kinds of wax after clay barring it i dont need a cleaner wax or anything right? Just a high shine or whatever they call the common wax? (i know they make different kinds for different applications)
I think the kit I bought (Mothers) came with a decent sized bottle of wax. I dont remember it was a carnubla wax or a cleaner wax.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

No, you won't need a cleaner wax. The clay bar will do all the cleaning you will need. Just use a good quality wax. Make sure to keep the truck wet with the prep spray or you start leaving parts of the clay bar on the truck. You might want to pick up an extra bottle of the prep spray. If you are using the Meguiars, it is there quick detailer spray. You can use the slay bar on the windows too. I found this out, because the company I used to work for, a custom metal fab shop, sprayed a huge storage tank with primer outside and go overspray on everybodies vehicles. So they bought us all a clay bar kit and told us to fix it on our own time. Tan industrial primer overspray on a white truck looks like s#@t. Luckily, the clay bar took every bit of the overspray off, and the finish of the truck is smooth again. I don't work for the company any more, and they are no longer in business.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F250FX4 View Post
No, you won't need a cleaner wax. The clay bar will do all the cleaning you will need. Just use a good quality wax. Make sure to keep the truck wet with the prep spray or you start leaving parts of the clay bar on the truck. You might want to pick up an extra bottle of the prep spray. If you are using the Meguiars, it is there quick detailer spray.
yeah i think the kit is like $25? I'll just get an extra bottle of spray so that i can do it well the first time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.