lights and wiring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
lights and wiring

Okay i have a basic visor on my truck with the 5 orange lights. I might be sounding dumb but i dont know the name for it other than a visor on the cab. Anyway the other day i lost all power to it (or so i think). None of the lights work anymore (i dont think they would all burn out at once) how can i go about testing if there is power up there or is there a fuse to check or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Visor is more than likely a LUNAR or MOON Visor from LUND. And if you dont have cab lights, then there is a wire that is ran from the visor, down into your dash somewhere. Pull out your A-pillar trim, and see if there is a wire behind one of them, more than likely it'll be on the drivers side.

It'll more than likely be tapped right into the parking lights, but where, who knows. It may have a fuse in line, but I dont know for sure, Just gotta do some tracing with a test light!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
The Visor is more than likely a LUNAR or MOON Visor from LUND. And if you dont have cab lights, then there is a wire that is ran from the visor, down into your dash somewhere. Pull out your A-pillar trim, and see if there is a wire behind one of them, more than likely it'll be on the drivers side.

It'll more than likely be tapped right into the parking lights, but where, who knows. It may have a fuse in line, but I dont know for sure, Just gotta do some tracing with a test light!
yeah the wire runs down along the rubber that seals the door when closed.... i can see the wire and it looks like its running down to the fuse panel... pulled that off and from there i got lost since there are no bad fuses
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Interior Guru

Make sure that wire isnt broken anywhere. And if its run into the fuse panel, then thats a bad idea ( i've done it ) But it should be spliced properly into a wire, WITH a fuse.

If you dont have a test light, you should buy one, they are a few dollars, and worth every penny if you want to do this kind of stuff yourself. Use it, ground the clip on the light, and poke the wire (not your finger!) with the marker lights on. if you get power there, then its a ground issue.

Its possible that the wire has lost contact from the fuse it was spliced into, OR that you lose the ground for the lights. Check the visor, and make sure it has a good ground for the lights.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Make sure that wire isnt broken anywhere. And if its run into the fuse panel, then thats a bad idea ( i've done it ) But it should be spliced properly into a wire, WITH a fuse.

If you dont have a test light, you should buy one, they are a few dollars, and worth every penny if you want to do this kind of stuff yourself. Use it, ground the clip on the light, and poke the wire (not your finger!) with the marker lights on. if you get power there, then its a ground issue.

Its possible that the wire has lost contact from the fuse it was spliced into, OR that you lose the ground for the lights. Check the visor, and make sure it has a good ground for the lights.
thanks! and o yeah i have a few test lights laying around i'll dig one out!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah i would check the wire isn't broke that runs inside door rubber over time with the door closing on it it may have cracked split etc.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

Alright i dug the test light out got a good ground (tested it on another hot wire). There are two wires running from the light obviously one is ground the other is power, i poked the hot wire and as far as i can tell i have no power there. I traced it down to where its spliced and it looks like it was spliced pretty well into another wire running who knows where. My question is how far do you have to stick the tip into the wire in order to get a good reading AND if i dont have power there whats my next thing to check?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Interior Guru

Stick it in there till you are positive you've got a good connection, it wont take much.

Well, if you do NOT have power at the wire, then keep tracing it until you figure out where its lost its connection. OR, Run a new one.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Depending on how your lights are wired in the visor if one burns out it breaks the circuit and they all go out.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachBoyer View Post
Depending on how your lights are wired in the visor if one burns out it breaks the circuit and they all go out.
how can you tell if its like this just by looking it at it? like is there a noticable difference in the wiring between the bulbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.