can this be done? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can this be done?

i have an 96' obs f250 with i-beam front axle (springs inverted). i have access to a set of front leaf spring front a 96 f-350 straight axle that has 351 gas. can those leafs be swapped (heavy enough)(what would u pay)? can the axle be swapped (what would u pay, I think that is a ford dana60)? I was told by a local shop that u can't do this and u would be opening a can of worms (t-cases don't line up the same in both trucks). I have a plow on the truck and would like to raise the front end 2" up to handle plow and stop tire to bumper touch. like a little lift, blocks are not safe and was told have to realign cambers. what would u do? don't have alot of $ for the 4" lift that cost $650, see what u guys know, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
a truck

You can swap in the D60 from a 350 its a direct bolt up, a lot of people do it, Im planning on doing it in the future
Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM

the straight axle from the 350 (gas or diesel) will mount up exactly? what would u pay for tis setup (axle and front leafs) off of a f350 that is not running (don't know what the gearing is in front axle or if it needs to rebuilt completely? thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM
a truck

yeah it should mount up exactly, I havent done the swap but a couple guys on here have so hopefully they will see this and be able to explain it all to you. As far as pricing, they normally go between 800 and 1000 but try to get it for as low as you can depending on the shape
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM

how did u do your lift on diesel if that has the ibeam front axle, curious?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:16 PM
a truck

The lift I did came with five add a leafs up front and new brackets for the beams that goes on teh crossmember. So I had to take out the old brackets and put these newer ones on that are longer and stronger then add teh leafs and then it had one add a leaf for the rear
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM

simple or a pain? was it costly? would u just get a 4" lift kit from rough or tuff country for $650?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
a truck

It was definitely a pain to do, it was also the first lift I had ever done and I picked the worst suspension to lift besides IFS to start with IMO, now if I did a lift on a TTB again it would be a lot easier but it is certainly a pain, especially just in your driveway. I got the tuff country 2.5" kit for 350, I would just get the 4" if I were you
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM

anyone else know on this (swapping of axles,and leafs)(swap leafs and put with ibeam axle?) or has done a cheap way to lift the 250 i-beam asxle truck?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how much lift are you wanting. i put a leveling kit on my 97 f-250 all it consisted off was an add a leaf in the front. it was an easy install. just had to take out the front leaf packs put the new leaf in. the hardest thing in my opinion was lining the hole back up to put the bolt back in to hold the spring pack together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.