Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Side mirror ideas...

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MacDougall 
#1 ·
I've seen several threads on side mirrors. I don't want to convert mine to a newer style by removing my window. I was just wondering if anyone ever had any success with modifying the original tow mirrors or some good extenders. I can't see anything when I pull my camper. I have to swurve back and forth just to see around it a little bit.

Also, my brackets for my mirrors have lost all thier chrome and are starting to rust. I was thinking about taking them off and painting them black. Anybody ever done this? My rims are black, thought it might look good. Wut ya'll thank?

#2 ·
Well I have the Small Power mirrors and yesterday I ordered the mirrors you have on your truck, but in addition to the mirrors I order a pair of 7 1/2" by 10 1/2" mirror heads and this is what my finished product will look like.

#3 ·
Yeah, I saw that in a different forum. Not real crazy about the look of the mirrors. To me, it looks like they came off of a 70-80 model truck. Just my 2 cents though. I do like the idea, wonder if I could just get that 'J' shaped bracket and move my mirrors in that position?

#4 ·
Yeah Im not sure where you can find a J shaped brakcet but I did see some mirrors like yours that extend outward, but IMO they kind of look tacky.

I think that those mirrors would look good on a Reg. cab like yours, because I've always have liked big mirrors, but I understand you want somethin more modern looking, and I myself really didn't want to give up the modern look of the power mirrors, but I have to put saftey and function first!

Another reason im gettiing those mirrors is so I can have a large towing head yet i can fold the mirror in, or I can run the mirrors on the inside.

#5 ·
Yeah, I reckon I'll just hafta get me some of them strap on mirrors. Didn't want to, but I reckon I will. Oh well, thanks

#6 ·
check around junkyards for that J piece or u could make your own bracket to go on your mirrors.

#7 ·
The mirrors on my truck are the same ones as yours but instead of them being mounted straight to the bracket they have a slider so that i can slide the mirrors in or out, they really help alot when towing because i can slide them all the way out and see around the trailer. they slide like the newer superduty mirrors, except my mirror is just like your. Hope you understand what im trying to explain.

#8 ·
Yeah, I wish they made a replacement mirror that looked exactly like my stock one, but the bracket would go out another 3 or 4 inches. I think that would be plenty. And a little bigger mirror wouldn't hurt. But, I've seen the ones they put on some of the 350's with the lower brackets about halfway down the door, I don't like those. Guess I'm just too picky.

Any body got an opinion on me painting my rusty brackets?

#11 ·
My mirrors look the exact same as stock, well instead of trying to explain ill get a picture for you of what is on my mirrors with the picture you will be able to see what i mean, i can slide my mirrors in or out so that i can see when towing.

#9 ·
i think it would be a great idea to paint your brackets, it would keep rust away and would look different from everyone elses mirrors. :thumb:

#10 ·
If you are painting your mirror brackets, Myself, I would give them a shot of gravel guard first. It adds a texture similar to spray in box liner, and gives the surface a bit of flexibility. Then spray it with the color of your choice. Mirrors and stuff that sticks out usually tend to take a good beating from insects and rocks and whatever flying debris can be encountered.

It is also good at hiding flaws, so the surface doesn't have to be exactly perfect before your final color.

just my 2 cents

#12 ·
OK here are two pictures one with them all the way in like stock mirrors are and one with them fully extended for towing. Hope this helps with explaining what i meant and sorry if you already new what i meant. (Sorry about the mess in my barn lol and you can see my 02 F250 in the pictures as well)

All the way in.

Fully extended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.