Side mirror ideas... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side mirror ideas...

I've seen several threads on side mirrors. I don't want to convert mine to a newer style by removing my window. I was just wondering if anyone ever had any success with modifying the original tow mirrors or some good extenders. I can't see anything when I pull my camper. I have to swurve back and forth just to see around it a little bit.

Also, my brackets for my mirrors have lost all thier chrome and are starting to rust. I was thinking about taking them off and painting them black. Anybody ever done this? My rims are black, thought it might look good. Wut ya'll thank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Well I have the Small Power mirrors and yesterday I ordered the mirrors you have on your truck, but in addition to the mirrors I order a pair of 7 1/2" by 10 1/2" mirror heads and this is what my finished product will look like.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I saw that in a different forum. Not real crazy about the look of the mirrors. To me, it looks like they came off of a 70-80 model truck. Just my 2 cents though. I do like the idea, wonder if I could just get that 'J' shaped bracket and move my mirrors in that position?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah Im not sure where you can find a J shaped brakcet but I did see some mirrors like yours that extend outward, but IMO they kind of look tacky.

I think that those mirrors would look good on a Reg. cab like yours, because I've always have liked big mirrors, but I understand you want somethin more modern looking, and I myself really didn't want to give up the modern look of the power mirrors, but I have to put saftey and function first!

Another reason im gettiing those mirrors is so I can have a large towing head yet i can fold the mirror in, or I can run the mirrors on the inside.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I reckon I'll just hafta get me some of them strap on mirrors. Didn't want to, but I reckon I will. Oh well, thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM

check around junkyards for that J piece or u could make your own bracket to go on your mirrors.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM

The mirrors on my truck are the same ones as yours but instead of them being mounted straight to the bracket they have a slider so that i can slide the mirrors in or out, they really help alot when towing because i can slide them all the way out and see around the trailer. they slide like the newer superduty mirrors, except my mirror is just like your. Hope you understand what im trying to explain.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 AM

Yeah, I wish they made a replacement mirror that looked exactly like my stock one, but the bracket would go out another 3 or 4 inches. I think that would be plenty. And a little bigger mirror wouldn't hurt. But, I've seen the ones they put on some of the 350's with the lower brackets about halfway down the door, I don't like those. Guess I'm just too picky.

Any body got an opinion on me painting my rusty brackets?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 AM

i think it would be a great idea to paint your brackets, it would keep rust away and would look different from everyone elses mirrors.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are painting your mirror brackets, Myself, I would give them a shot of gravel guard first. It adds a texture similar to spray in box liner, and gives the surface a bit of flexibility. Then spray it with the color of your choice. Mirrors and stuff that sticks out usually tend to take a good beating from insects and rocks and whatever flying debris can be encountered.

It is also good at hiding flaws, so the surface doesn't have to be exactly perfect before your final color.

just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.