How do I test my keyless entry? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I test my keyless entry?

I just bought my 1997 F250 CC SB PSD 4x4. I went to install an alarm last weekend mostly to gain the keyless entry function. The first step in my installation was to pull down the lower dash panel on the drivers side where I discovered the factory keyless entry module. SMH. I want to buy a NEW remote for it. Dealer price is $87. I am willing to do that to have a new unit, but I want to be assured that the truck portion of the equation is functional first. Anybody know how I can go about testing it? The dealer said the pairing process was to cycle the ignition 7 times and the locks should lock and unlock to indicate "ready to program". No dice. I have also tried 5 and 10 cycles of the ignition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

1. Turn ignition to RUN or ACC.

2. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located at the base of the steering
column. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode.

3. Press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

4. If programming a second keyless remote, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

5. Turn igniton to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:44 AM

I don't think that addresses the OP's question. If i understand correctly, he wants to test the RKE module prior to purchasing the key fob. Actually, I'd like to know the same thing, as I have the RKE module as well, but no key fob.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

If you follow the first steps with the key in ACC or RUN position and jump the two wires hanging off the RKE module, and your locks cycle, then your RKE module is functioning. (Assuming the power door lock actuators work) The rest of the steps just describe how to link the key fob with the module if it works. Sorry for the confusion
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM

OK, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to give that a try.

To the OP, my dad just got a key fob for his 2010 F150 on eBay for less than $20, and it works great. No need to pay that high dealer price.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

JDoldnumber07, Thanks for the help! I followed your instructions and the locks cycled so I am gonna order up a key fob.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe someone already said it....

Make sure you have all the fobs for the truck with you as you will program each one, even an existing one. And should you decide to add another fob (I keep an extra one for road trips so the ladies can always get into the truck whether the guys are ready or not.) you will need to resynchronize all of them.

Also, if you have the "remotes lock the doors when the engine is running" mod this needs to be undone first as the system will not go into the synchronizing mode.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

No problem, i'm glad it worked out! I wish i had this info for my truck before i had an aftermarket keyless entry installed, only to find out my truck was already equipped with RKE.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 AM

So tell me more about this "remote locks door when running" mod...
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
If you follow the first steps with the key in ACC or RUN position and jump the two wires hanging off the RKE module, and your locks cycle, then your RKE module is functioning. (Assuming the power door lock actuators work) The rest of the steps just describe how to link the key fob with the module if it works. Sorry for the confusion.
SUCCESS!!! Key fob ordered from eBay, will be here this week. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.