Bronco tire carrier on our OBS. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bronco tire carrier on our OBS.

Hey everyone,

So here is my idea that I want to accomplish.
I want to mount a Bronco tire carrier on the back of my truck. I know I have a big arse truck with a 8 foot bed. I also have the stock tire carrier under the bed. What I don't like is crawling under my truck to get my spare tire off. I also don't like leaving my spare tires in the bed of my truck. They take up space and I have to lock them down so they wont get stolen. If this will work that would just give an added uniqueness to my truck and prevent me from having to get under my truck when there is a flat. I also want to do this so I can carry a 2nd spare tire not having to be in the bed.

So yes I will still have to crawl under my truck if I were to get 2 flats at once but having the bronco tire carrier on the back would make changing a tire easier.

I also want to get this done because you may have heard of the rains that hit colorado hard a little bit ago. Well on the way to work that rainy day I picked up a piece of metal in my tire, tire went flat while at work and of course due to all the rain I was the lucky individual that had to be submerged under water trying to get my spare tire out. It was the front tire so there was no way of driving it out of the rushing water through the parking lot.

My questions are:
o Is the back side of a Bronco the same size as our bed?
o Is there in inner bracket that has to be bolted to give added brace to the sheet metal?
o Anyone have close up pics of a bronco tire carrier latch. Will I have to drill into the tailgate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I explored this a little, but by no means exhaustively...the Broncos have extra braces welded during construction that you cannot retrofit.

But there are a number of bumpers that have a hinged spare tire mounted to it, that look great and provide the functionality I think you are looking for. I like the "tilted into the bed like a pre runner" look myself. Here are a couple of quick google results...

Last edited by leojr; 11-05-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelun
Old 11-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojr View Post
I explored this a little, but by no means exhaustively...the Broncos have extra braces welded during construction that you cannot retrofit.

But there are a number of bumpers that have a hinged spare tire mounted to it, that look great and provide the functionality I think you are looking for. I like the "tilted into the bed like a pre runner" look myself. Here are a couple of quick google results...

Dang I guess I will have to find another way not to pull out my back bed fender. I still want to keep my back bumper, I don't want to change over to aftermarket bumper. Thanks for the heads up, looks like my idea of letting my wife get her nails done and buy a new phone might let me get a welder and a 12000 lbs wench.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM

The bronco right quarter panel is Gusseted from the factory and it still flexes like a BIOTCH. There are small flat plates that are behind the skin of the sheet metal that the bolts thread into. They can be retrofitted, the bed the side is not really strong enough to support it, you would have to add a TON of extra support. I am doing away with my bronco spare tire carrier and going the bumper route
Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a carrier in my garage I was thinking of retrofitting to my dually, was actually debating just how to mount tho, stock style or in the front against the bulkhead of my bed
Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just welding up some support on the inside. The tailgate would be the hardest part.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bronco has a tail gate too but there is a latch assembly that bolts to the tailgate btw
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Anybody have any experience to share wrt a receiver-mount spare tire carrier? Curious about how to elegantly handle the license plate sitch, and of course tailgate access.

Last edited by madpogue; 11-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have seen the receiver hitch style tire carriers on Jeeps. They seem to have alot of play and move around alot on the trail. You also have to pull the whole thing out to get they tailgate open, seems like a pita to me. I would look at going bumper route. I too have been thinking about relocating my spare, still not sure what route I'm going to take.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:39 PM

So I have had multiple projects going, this project tire carrier, my sliding rear window, my battery problem, painting my fastback and learning the best way to make a mold of my cab spoiler. Also today Homedepot had s good deal on a black aluminum Husky low profile full size truck tool box for $203 out the door. Sadly it won't fit with my fastback, and it's that time to yet again make my way over seas to find the bad guys. So I choose to go home to see family, decided to put projects on hold gonna see family for the holiday, ill just buy a toolbox during deployment.

If anyone gets a start on this before I do please feel free to post your progress here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.