Running board lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running board lights

I'm looking into putting on a few amber running board lights. But, before I buy all this stuff I'm wandering how the heck these lights don't stay on all the time. They say you just run the positive wires straight to the + on the battery terminal and say nothing about to a switch or running to auxiliary lights. Is there a battery that only run when the key is turned or something?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Who wired the chicken lights on your front air dam?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Mine use scotch locks connecting directly to the running/parking light wire found along the frame on the drivers side. I think the wire color is brown.

Mine were done when I bought the truck. If I did it myself I probably wouldn't use scotch locks but solder and heat shrink tube.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM

I did, but that is wired to a switch. So are the fog lights and I plan on one day wiring them all into one, but I need to get bigger wire and its not important so I don't feel like putting the time that yet haha
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
Mine use scotch locks connecting directly to the running/parking light wire found along the frame on the drivers side. I think the wire color is brown.

Mine were done when I bought the truck. If I did it myself I probably wouldn't use scotch locks but solder and heat shrink tube.
I have weird running boards that ive only seen on one other truck. Idk how well it'll take drilling a holes through it to keep them lights on.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM

I guess I don't understand. The running lights are on the stock pull-on light switch. It would be the same as trailer lights, trailer lights on when the truck lights are on.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM

I layed under the truck and found the running lights wire, first one I checked was brown like you said. I just went ahead and ordered four foot long led strips that will just stick onto the running board. Ill just have to drill a small hole to feed wires through. Then run them all together then connect it to the running lights. I Havnt decided if Id use two twelve inch leds or just one on each side considering its an extended cab

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_ View Post
I did, but that is wired to a switch. So are the fog lights and I plan on one day wiring them all into one, but I need to get bigger wire and its not important so I don't feel like putting the time that yet haha
What size fuse are you using for the chicken lights and the fog light?

Why not use a switch to wire the running board lights then?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM

I bought the the thin LED lights that you see on the side of 18 wheelers. I forgot the brand but I believe they were made my Truck-Lite. Most 18 wheeler repair shops, trailer shops, or truck stops would have them. Basically I bought the ones that have the chrome bezel that the lights sit in. I used small self tapping screws to secure them. They had two wires on the back, Red and Black. Red is the positive and Black is the negative. You can use the suitcase connectors or strip and splice connectors. The black wires can be grounded anywhere on the truck, I grounded mine to the frame since the frame is grounded to the battery. I hooked the red wires all together and ran a wire up through the floor board. There should be a few of those rubber knockouts in the floorboard or up on your firewall someplace to bring the wire in the cab. I hooked up one of those flip switches with the 2 screws on the back and put the switch on the dash. Take the wire from the lights and put it on one screw from the switch and then tie a hot wire into the other screw on the switch. You can use one of those push in fuses with a wire coming out that you can buy at any auto store or run a wire up to your battery going out the same way your brought in your LED lights.

OR

Just tie all the black wires together and then ground those to the frame like above, and then run another wire and tie all the red wires from the lights and tie those to your hot wire for your clearance lights, say the amber lights by your headlights. Either way I described would work. Doing it this way you would not have to have a separate switch and they will come on when you turn on your factory lights.

Last edited by Lilfarmrboy; 09-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

They look like factory running boards to me??? U can tie into the parking lights to feed the control wires of a relay that will act as a secondary switch to turn on your LEDs without overloading the stock cuircuit although I doubt the addition of LEDs will do that. U could also tie into the trailer harness and the parking light portion of that since that is fused separately then the main parking lights but will still work the same. Especially if u don't tow much but by judging from the pic u posted not long ago I say u do tow often
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.