Best brakes for OBS dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Best brakes for OBS dually

Hey guys i need brakes for my newly acquired OBS dually 2wd. What do you all run for the front pads and what rear shoes do you run? Not looking for the best most expensive ones, just some good ones that wont need replacing after a year. Also if you could point me to a diagram or write up how to do brake drums shoes because i have never had the...pleasure...to do them.

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rammstein1224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
2000-7.3L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,167
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
MOTORCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2000-7.3L is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Some things you only use motorcraft for and brakes are not something that i would used them for. Filters yes, fluids no, gaskets yes, brakes no

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hawk pads I hear are great, as far as doing drums, pull the "drum" off, look at it before you remove anything else, set your new pads in front of you and put it all back exactly how you took it off


I have napa pads on mine

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
351fifty is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
2000-7.3L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,167
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Some things you only use motorcraft for and brakes are not something that i would used them for. Filters yes, fluids no, gaskets yes, brakes no
uhhhh Motorcraft oil and trans fluid i would say Motorcraft. Thats all I runn in my 7.3L. Pat how many miles on the 2WD you got there?
2000-7.3L is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Hawk pads I hear are great, as far as doing drums, pull the "drum" off, look at it before you remove anything else, set your new pads in front of you and put it all back exactly how you took it off


I have napa pads on mine
So its not a huge deal if i got some cheap napa pads and shoes it mostly just a DD if i tow its with my SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
uhhhh Motorcraft oil and trans fluid i would say Motorcraft. Thats all I runn in my 7.3L. Pat how many miles on the 2WD you got there?
Yea but the way i see things other companies like shell(rotella t5/6), mobile 1, castrol, pensoil, etc have done wayyyy more testing on their oil than ford engineers ever have so i tend to trust them more than ford who just buys it from whoever is cheapest that meets requirements(someone correct me if i am wrong)

As for miles the cluster says 227777ish but the PO said that the PO before him replaced the cluster and its closer to 190000. Who all is telling the truth is up for debate without paperwork but id believe it based on how well its taken care of.

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
2000-7.3L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,167
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
well let me say this, there are guys on here saying that they have owned there trucks since new, or like new that now have 100,000 miles on them. They make a thread stating that the brakes have never been done and they want to upgrade there brakes. Hmmmm let see, a set of pads that lasted over 50,xxx miles, i think thats pretty damn good in my book. So why upgrade? the pads laster over 50-75,xxx miles, why would you want to upgrade? If you think about it, how long would it take you to drive that truck 50-75,xxx miles?





RANT OVER, hope this helps! Just giving insight on the whole "I want better brake pads"?!
2000-7.3L is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would say motorcraft fluids, pads, and parts are great IMHO, they were specifically designed for that exact application, and not "copied" to sell cheaper, that being said I have ford do all my oil changes in my f250, and I run valvoline in my f350, both over 300k, both dd and do as much towing as I can find for them, brakes I just don't get the cheapest, but I won't pay overkill prices for a product because of the name written on them

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
351fifty is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!


 
351fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canton and kennesaw
Posts: 23,180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
well let me say this, there are guys on here saying that they have owned there trucks since new, or like new that now have 100,000 miles on them. They make a thread stating that the brakes have never been done and they want to upgrade there brakes. Hmmmm let see, a set of pads that lasted over 50,xxx miles, i think thats pretty damn good in my book. So why upgrade? the pads laster over 50-75,xxx miles, why would you want to upgrade? If you think about it, how long would it take you to drive that truck 50-75,xxx miles?





RANT OVER, hope this helps! Just giving insight on the whole "I want better brake pads"?!
Your logic is sound, but..... Upgrades can be more efficient as to warp less, wear smoother and stop shorter, I'm a big fan of ford parts tho, incomming pm btw

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
351fifty is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,967
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I would say motorcraft fluids, pads, and parts are great IMHO, they were specifically designed for that exact application, and not "copied" to sell cheaper, that being said I have ford do all my oil changes in my f250, and I run valvoline in my f350, both over 300k, both dd and do as much towing as I can find for them, brakes I just don't get the cheapest, but I won't pay overkill prices for a product because of the name written on them
Yea i have no problem with motorcraft parts they obviously work good, but like you said i dont want to pay for the name if theres a better product out there thats cheaper

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rammstein1224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome