Best brakes for OBS dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Best brakes for OBS dually

Hey guys i need brakes for my newly acquired OBS dually 2wd. What do you all run for the front pads and what rear shoes do you run? Not looking for the best most expensive ones, just some good ones that wont need replacing after a year. Also if you could point me to a diagram or write up how to do brake drums shoes because i have never had the...pleasure...to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
MOTORCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Chapter Director

Some things you only use motorcraft for and brakes are not something that i would used them for. Filters yes, fluids no, gaskets yes, brakes no
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hawk pads I hear are great, as far as doing drums, pull the "drum" off, look at it before you remove anything else, set your new pads in front of you and put it all back exactly how you took it off

I have napa pads on mine
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Some things you only use motorcraft for and brakes are not something that i would used them for. Filters yes, fluids no, gaskets yes, brakes no
uhhhh Motorcraft oil and trans fluid i would say Motorcraft. Thats all I runn in my 7.3L. Pat how many miles on the 2WD you got there?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Hawk pads I hear are great, as far as doing drums, pull the "drum" off, look at it before you remove anything else, set your new pads in front of you and put it all back exactly how you took it off

I have napa pads on mine
So its not a huge deal if i got some cheap napa pads and shoes it mostly just a DD if i tow its with my SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
uhhhh Motorcraft oil and trans fluid i would say Motorcraft. Thats all I runn in my 7.3L. Pat how many miles on the 2WD you got there?
Yea but the way i see things other companies like shell(rotella t5/6), mobile 1, castrol, pensoil, etc have done wayyyy more testing on their oil than ford engineers ever have so i tend to trust them more than ford who just buys it from whoever is cheapest that meets requirements(someone correct me if i am wrong)

As for miles the cluster says 227777ish but the PO said that the PO before him replaced the cluster and its closer to 190000. Who all is telling the truth is up for debate without paperwork but id believe it based on how well its taken care of.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM

well let me say this, there are guys on here saying that they have owned there trucks since new, or like new that now have 100,000 miles on them. They make a thread stating that the brakes have never been done and they want to upgrade there brakes. Hmmmm let see, a set of pads that lasted over 50,xxx miles, i think thats pretty damn good in my book. So why upgrade? the pads laster over 50-75,xxx miles, why would you want to upgrade? If you think about it, how long would it take you to drive that truck 50-75,xxx miles?

RANT OVER, hope this helps! Just giving insight on the whole "I want better brake pads"?!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

I would say motorcraft fluids, pads, and parts are great IMHO, they were specifically designed for that exact application, and not "copied" to sell cheaper, that being said I have ford do all my oil changes in my f250, and I run valvoline in my f350, both over 300k, both dd and do as much towing as I can find for them, brakes I just don't get the cheapest, but I won't pay overkill prices for a product because of the name written on them
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
well let me say this, there are guys on here saying that they have owned there trucks since new, or like new that now have 100,000 miles on them. They make a thread stating that the brakes have never been done and they want to upgrade there brakes. Hmmmm let see, a set of pads that lasted over 50,xxx miles, i think thats pretty damn good in my book. So why upgrade? the pads laster over 50-75,xxx miles, why would you want to upgrade? If you think about it, how long would it take you to drive that truck 50-75,xxx miles?

RANT OVER, hope this helps! Just giving insight on the whole "I want better brake pads"?!
Your logic is sound, but..... Upgrades can be more efficient as to warp less, wear smoother and stop shorter, I'm a big fan of ford parts tho, incomming pm btw
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I would say motorcraft fluids, pads, and parts are great IMHO, they were specifically designed for that exact application, and not "copied" to sell cheaper, that being said I have ford do all my oil changes in my f250, and I run valvoline in my f350, both over 300k, both dd and do as much towing as I can find for them, brakes I just don't get the cheapest, but I won't pay overkill prices for a product because of the name written on them
Yea i have no problem with motorcraft parts they obviously work good, but like you said i dont want to pay for the name if theres a better product out there thats cheaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.