Bumper and Winch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bumper and Winch

I'd like to get a winch on my truck. I'd like to keep my stock bumper and add a grill guard (Go Rhino Sumatra 3000 center section only) but I want to make sure I can still mount a winch on my bumper if I add the guard. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Ok, as far as mounting the winch you want to get a winch bumper or a push bumper made to handle a winch, you do not want to mount it to the bumper it will rip it off the first time you use it. The go rhino is not desined to handle a winch. If you really want to keep you bumper i would suggest a front reciver hitch and get a mount kit for the winch. I use that on my off-road rig so i can use it in the rear if i need (happens more than you think) Then all you have with the winch removed is a 2" reciver up front and you can buy a $15 ford oval to cover the hole if ya want. BTW, what winch ya lookin at???
Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut85 View Post
If you really want to keep you bumper i would suggest a front reciver hitch and get a mount kit for the winch. I use that on my off-road rig so i can use it in the rear if i need (happens more than you think) Then all you have with the winch removed is a 2" reciver up front and you can buy a $15 ford oval to cover the hole if ya want. BTW, what winch ya lookin at???
I must say, I've always thought that was a great idea to be able to move and use a winch in the front or rear of the truck. I think that'll be the way to go for me because I like my stock bumper (haven't seen any aftermarket I like enough to spend that kind of money!) and I really like that grill guard.

I'm looking at Warn (a bit expensive), Ramey, and Mile Marker. Probably rated at 12K pounds.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

The best part is i welded a reciver tube to my trailer to pull cars on with. If you like Warn check out Tabor (warns cheap line) it's the same componets without the big red W. Mile Marker makes a really good Elec winch but get this, they make that winch for Harbor freight and they are DIRT CHEAP and are the exact same thing!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
im fat and ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut85 View Post
Mile Marker makes a really good Elec winch but get this, they make that winch for Harbor freight and they are DIRT CHEAP and are the exact same thing!!!
THATS GOOD TO KNOW THANKS FOR SHARIN THAT INFO!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

SHHHHHHH ! It's privilaged information lol
Old 09-22-2006, 05:31 PM
im fat and ugly

GOTCHA MY LIPS ARE SEALED LOL
Old 09-22-2006, 05:40 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

:whistle: I know nothing hehehe
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I have a MM E12000 winch on my offroad rig, used it a couple times, worked great. Only problem I have w/ it is the cable has gotten really rusted fromt eh harsh winters and road salt, I suggest swapping the cable out w/ the Synthetic wire rope, it is definitely worth it in the long run.

-BG06.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Big Nuts Racing Send a message via MSN to Big Nuts Racing Send a message via Yahoo to Big Nuts Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen06 View Post
I have a MM E12000 winch on my offroad rig, used it a couple times, worked great. Only problem I have w/ it is the cable has gotten really rusted fromt eh harsh winters and road salt, I suggest swapping the cable out w/ the Synthetic wire rope, it is definitely worth it in the long run.

-BG06.
With that said, the synthetic line allows for more on the spool as well as being safer to use. Ever seen a steel winch line snap...comes what with enough force to kill you. As a matter of fact, most crawling competitions now require the use of a sythetic winch line versus the steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.