mounting sirius radio antenna on PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mounting sirius radio antenna on PSD

My wife is buying me a Sirius radio plug and play unit for Xmas. My intention is to move the unit between my 1997 PSD and Ford Escape. I have a concern where I might mount the antenna on the PSD. During the summer months I remove the topper and put a pop-up slide-in camper on the truck. It has a cab over sleeping area in the camper. In review of the antenna installation instructions it seems the antenna must be mounted on the roof of the truck. My fear is the over hang on the camper will block the signal.

Any suggestions or ideas ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have my XM antenna between the hood and the windshield by the wipers. Don't really have any problem with reception.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 AM

I have mine mounted on the front of the roof with the antenna wire slipped in the window edging. I have good signal and it out of the way of everything. I don't have cab lights on my truck though. Guess that would work as long as the cab isn't completely covered by the camper.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I mounted mine in front of the third brake light.
Attached Thumbnails
mounting sirius radio antenna on PSD-xm1.jpg   mounting sirius radio antenna on PSD-xm2.jpg   mounting sirius radio antenna on PSD-xm3.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 AM

thanks for the input

I need to meet with the Sirius radio installers. The over hang on the camper above the cab comes about a foot beyond the front windshield. I think I need to place the antenna forward of the windshield maybe on the hood,yuk... The camper is only on the truck for about four months of the year, during the summer time, otherwise the cab roof is a great location. Thanks for the feedback though....525
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM

I had my after market Sirius radio mounted in my 97 PSD. They mounted the antenna near the leading edge of the hood. I was told putting it there would not affect the signal with the over head on the camper. There is an added item you can or have installed which is a direct wire to your fm antenna. This maybe what you guys that have the roof mounted factory antenna may need. From this direct wire you can run the Sirius antenna, it has a twenty foot cable. I had Best Buy install the hardware in both my Escape and PSD. They did a beautiful job. I didn't use the sucktion cup or the vent mount but a brace they made attaching to the console...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM

You would get awful good reception if you mount on top of camper. Why not have two conn. one for the camper and one for the truck. Radio Shack has in-line connecrors so you can swap back and forth with the antenea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.