Paint questions :D - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint questions :D

Hey guys, I'm throwing a new bed on my truck, aswell as new fenders. The paint is pretty bad anyway, scratch wise. Note that this is a work truck, I'm just planning on doing the best job I can, take my time and call it good enough.

Ive been looking into the single stage paints summit sells, aswell as there etching primer for bare metal, and there high build mostly. Plan would be body work ect, prime, prime,prime get everything nice and guide coated out, smooth so it looks good then just lay some base coat on. Wasn't planning on clear or anything.

What am I going to need for paint volumes? I was going to get 2 gallons of primer (maybe 1gal high build, one normal?) so I had enough for sure, But what I want to know is if 1 gallon of top coat is enough, not sure how many coats are recommended, id assume 3 or so?

I'm fairly confident I can make the truck look much much better, Ive painted a bit and have had good luck overall besides some trouble with fisheye. I just have to pick my days better, and keep the water out of the
paint.

Base coat- 71/gal
high build- 59/gal (two maybe?)
hardeners- 20/qt (3)

I will see how everything sands outs, but Im hoping not to get down to metal and be able to stay away from etching primers. Just a simple sand, bodywork, primer, paint type deal.

all said and done after sand paper and other materials 300-350 bucks? am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Why would you waste your time with single stage. KIA is the only one that uses that crap. We are in the year 2013, not 1990
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM

haha, because I have no idea what the **** im doing. Whats your suggestion? two stage paint costs considerably more. From what I have seen, if you do a good job the single stage looks pretty nice.

also, you would have to see a day in the life of my truck to understand how long a nice paint job would last. Its more for the color matching aspect. If you know what I mean?

but I am interested in what you have to say for sure, Ive seen what I think was your build, you obviously have a much better idea of whats going on then me, so please Id love and really appreciate any recommendations and help.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 AM

2 stage is slightly more expensive, yes

But if you want to paint your truck metallic , which it is now. Single stage is NOT what you want to use.

Depending on the color, a gallon can be 50-150. And a gallon of clear(with activator) is 100-200 for the economy stuff(Nason and Shopline brands) Or you can go and spend 300+ on color and 500+ on clear.(Dupont and PPG)

Are you doing the door jams, back of the cab etc(complete tear down)? If so then yes 2 gallon of color, if not then 1 will do just fine.

Also, if you are not doing body work, then primer will not be needed, just a wet sand and paint. Otherwise you will be just wasting material.

I used 1.5 gallons of silver on my crewcab and 3/4 gallon of white.

But I also did the new rad support, inside fenders, hood, doors, jams, back of can, inside tailgate etc. And a couple things needed to be done more than once.

It is your truck, but if you are going thru the effort do it, why not do it right

Last edited by Diesel_brad; 02-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Too the OP ,Brad is right about the two stage vs. the single stage .Single is easier and less expensive but in no way does it compare to two stage .
Clearcoat/basecoat will last longer ,look better ,and actually it's easier to repair and spot in later repairs if needed .
Costs again can be managed ,get the color from anyone and use the lower dollar clear ,most of it's from the best manufacturers as a low line without a warranty
Clearcoat can be buffed where single not so well .
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
but if you are going thru the effort do it, why not do it right

I completely agree, I appreciate the help...I might have more questions as this comes close. Im planning on doing a body work, want to make it as straight as possible. I would like to do a really nice job and take everything apart, strip it down. But that is obviously a ton of work, and I might for a first try just paint the exterior.

Still looking into summit stuff, but Now im looking at the two stage stuff. I talked to a friend today. Mentioned this thread and he seemed to think that TWO stage paint can actually be easier to spray...the clear takes out a lot of imperfections? or something?

haha, really appreciate it guys!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM

To me 2 stage is easier.

The color is just that COLOR. Nothing more
the Clear is your build, shine and protection.

The color,
you just lay down a couple of coats to get a consistent color. It dries as fast as primer. it is pretty simple. with metallics you do a criss cross pattern as to not get tiger stripes

Clear,
you lay down a dry(light ) coat of clear.
then a heavier coat of clear.
Then a Wet coat of clear(lay it down as wet as you can, but not so wet to cause a run)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
To me 2 stage is easier.

The color is just that COLOR. Nothing more
the Clear is your build, shine and protection.

The color,
you just lay down a couple of coats to get a consistent color. It dries as fast as primer. it is pretty simple. with metallics you do a criss cross pattern as to not get tiger stripes

Clear,
you lay down a dry(light ) coat of clear.
then a heavier coat of clear.
Then a Wet coat of clear(lay it down as wet as you can, but not so wet to cause a run)

Awesome, that really helps Thanks

Ill be ordering paint soon, set on two stage now I wouldn't have known the criss cross trick, appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Alright, Im looking into color options now. I was going to try to stick to the factory color. Im having trouble finding something close.

Factory is Dark tourmaline Metallic. I found "auto airs colors 4600 series GLOSS DEEP GREEN".

Looks close on the internet, and Im considering it. 150/gal for the base, then I will have to find a good clear. I'm not sure how to tell what clears will work with it ect.
Auto Air Colors 4600 Series Candy-Pigment Paints 4610-12 - SummitRacing.com

I also noticed is water based acrylic (candy pigment?) ? so I dont know if that is any good, but I guess Im looking for opinions on top coat now thanks guys!

Last edited by csdwarf11; 02-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM

If you want factory colors just visit any auto paint store in your area and get the color you want .
Napa carries Martin Senour ( Sherwin Williams btw ) with access to every color and clears . With you being a novice ,I'd suggest painting the inside of bed first for some practice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.