Truck leaning.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck leaning....

Anyways, my passenger side is leaning a bit in the front and I'm not quite sure why. I'm thinking it's the leafs....however, when looking at the truck from the front, the bed pokes out the side a little more than half and inch to and inch and is quite noticable, atleast to me. The bed is inline on the other side...What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

If the truck has a broken spring it will drop that corner and flex the frame to compensate making the top corner of the bed poke out a little. Have you looked at the springs yet??
Old 12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
measure the distance between the bump stop and leaf spring on both sides. It should be the same distaqnce on each side otherwise your srings are shot on that side. my truck had the same problem due to my front leafs sagging. I installed a 4 inch lift kit which replaced the front springs curing the problem on mine.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The thing about it is, is that I just had a suspension lift put on about 3 months ago. Looking at the spring, it looks a little lower than the other one. (Basically, it looks like it has less of an upward arch.) I'm hoping that the leaf wasn't bad when I got the lift....then again, I'm not sure with the crappy service I recieved from that place...sheesh.

I'll try to measure them tomorrow, if not, I'll be sure to let you guys know....

BTW, let's say the spring is sagging, shouldn't it be under warranty? I'm guessing not by Superlift's standards, but, the place I got the lift put on said they would warranty what they put on...but from their crappy attitude about it, I'm not sure.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 PM

also the springs have a break in period where they will soften up and will sag a little. posibly one spring has broken in a little better than the other. you may go brauf on the truck a little bit to make sure the springs get a good work out.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM

check the measurement from the top of the leaf packs to the bump stops first. if the spring height is fine. then i would focus on things like suspension bushings, ball joints, or posibly cab bushings if the bed and cab body lines arent lining up.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The cab and body lines aren't lined up, I'll be able to tell you that much....lol, it's horrible, I have so much stuff to do to this truck...I know my leaf bushings aren't good. When I removed my bumper to put on the front end, I noticed that they were rotted away...and the shop that put on my lift didn't say anything.....I know I should get that taken care of but, I need to replace my fuel pump and on thanksgiving my batteries crapped out and I learned that I need to replace my battery cables because the lead connectors are all beat up and the screw/bolt things are stripped on two of them...so yeah, that was a rant.

Also, I've been pretty rough the truck...I go offroad almost everyday and I romp 'er some times, even though I know something's gonna break eventually. Oh well....

-clay
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM

drive it like you stole it. the leaning issue is mainly cosmetic at this oint. it may cause you some itre wear issues later on down the road. id worry about the mechanical then spend the money to fix the leaning later on. it probly wont hurt nothing.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I doubt it will either, just wondering what all the potential things could be...I'm assuming it's a combination of cab mounts and the leafs...in which case, I probably don't have enough money to take care of it at this point anyways.

Thanks for the input...
-clay
Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Double post, I know but, I need to put something in...

While I changed my oil out today, I measured the bump stops...and they are both at 4 1/2", or atleast a hair's difference off. I'm going to assume it's cab mounts, but would they really make the bed poke out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.