Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Paint Job??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bigcountrysg 
#1 ·
Hey I have a 97' F250 supercab long bed and its white, but it has that ugly tealish color side panel on it. I was looking to repaint it white at maaco but I don't know how much they would charge for it. (yea I know its an ok paint job but I'm only 18). Has anyone takin their truck there before or repainted their truck?

#2 ·
I have seen paint jobs from Maaco look better then the best body shops around my house. It really is not about the shop. It is about the person doing the work. If the body man cares about his work. Then your truck will look great and last a long time. If the body man cares about his paycheck then your truck may look great for a while.

When doing things like this it is best to shop around and get a few different estimates. You do this before you make your decission. If there is no major damage to be repaired. Then it may just be a simple sand down prime and repaint.

Another thing you can do to make your cost cheaper is to do all the prep work yourself. Like sand down the body, repair any dents if needed, prime it and wet sand it. Then take it to the bodyshop ready for paint so all they have to do is tape it off, wipe it down and spray it with color. If you do this it may cut 40% of the cost off the bodyshop bill.

#3 ·
oh alright, yea my friends truck had a maaco paint job and it looked pretty descent. But that's a good point, I never thought about sanding it before taking it in, that should help the cost a lot. Also thanks for fighting for our freedom, I don't think you guys get enough credit you deserve:thumb:

#4 ·
I'm not a big body man at all but all the guys I talk to say that a good paint job is in the prep work, so take your time and do it right. That will leave the painter alot less to cut corners on and give you a better chance of coming out with a great paint job.

#5 ·
Not just sandin gbut if you do as much of the prep work that you can do. Your cost will be alot less. Majority of the cost in body repair or repainting a vehicle is labor. The materials do not cost that much but the labor adds up. Any way you can cut the amount of labor down the cheaper it will be. If you make an aggreement with the body shop you go to like, you do tear down and assembley then that will reduce your cost some. If you do tear down, prep work, and assembley then that will cut down your cost. Do as much as you are capable of doing and it will reduce your price.

Another thing you could do is take a night class in body work. Check out community colleges in you rarea if you have time. Now you pay tution and you pay for materials but you get to do the work the right way with the right equipment and you learn something. That is another thing to look at as well. Or if you have Vo-tech centers that offer night classes in autobody repair go there. I know alot of street rod builders that took night classes for adult ed at vo-tech center where I went to highschool at. Just so they could do all the body work that needed to be done to there hot rod. Then they got the teacher to spray there street rod for them. These are things you should also look into as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.