Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Factory Alcoa wheels "peeling"

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just bought a 94 F-350 DRW with the factory Alcoa wheels and they are starting to "peel" around the lug nut area. Does anyone know what I can do to clean them up and polish them again????

TIA

#2 ·
peeling shoes

it is actually the clear coat peeling off the wheels. the best thing to do is to get some paint stripper or something similar.(aerosol can works best made by duplicolor) saturate them. i reccomend removing the tire or either being extremely careful not to get it on the rubber. it could deteriate the tire. after saturating it use a pressure washer or good old elbow grease to remove all the clear coat now they can be polished back. if you get them like you want them you can spray some good clear coat back on them or put a sealer on it (I know zoops makes some sealer probally other types to) if you dont seal them they will oxidize and turn white over time. you can lightly sand them put probally isnt nessisary before you polish them because all the clear coat isnt gone yet. they are just flaking around the lugs. makes since cause they get the most stress.

#4 ·
polish

I know mothers is good. i personally like using anything you can get from a truck stop or truck store. zepher i think is how you spell it. it is purple or green. also heavy metal polish makes some good stuff available at the same places. GET A MOTHERS POWER BALL!!!!!!! it is worth all 18 bucks and it will save lots of time and looks reall good. you use it with a drill. good luck

#6 ·
Well, I found Alcoa's web site and got to the "contact us" section and shot them an e-mail Fri morning, I got home and they had replied within 20 min!!! Wanting the part number and date code off the wheel but it was late so I won't hear from them til Mon i'm sure, but I was REALLY impressed with thier quick response over a "no profit" inquiry

#7 ·
Fordnut85, I'm having similar problems with my allloy wheels. What did you end up doing? I'm considering trying the paint striper and resealing mine, but another option I've looked into is to have them sandblasted and powder coated. The local powdercoater can do them for about $37 per wheel in just about any color I want.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.