Flat bed L.E.D. Conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flat bed L.E.D. Conversion

I currently have a bradford built flat bed on my 94 f250 and want to convert the lights to LEDs. I am tired of cooking the headlight switch with the extra amperage draw (18 lights instead of the original 2, I have already installed a heavier duty switch connector, which helped) The light sockets look like a direct fit for the LED. Is there anything special I need to do? I have heard that some vehicles need a resistor so the flasher functions properly. On the OBS i dont think it would be an issue. I tried to search for a previous thread, if there is one can somebody point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you run your rear lights on relays, similar to the front head light relay harness, I'm sure that would help.

Personally my lights in my bradford are plenty bright.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Just need an electronic flasher for the signals but the relays would help with your amp draw issue

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Are you running a relay set up with your truck? If so how do you have it set? I have wired relays for other things but not for running lights.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
spool up that turbo!!

On mine? No i just have 2 oval LEDs in my cab guard so no need for relays should be constant power to your relay and power from your flasher unit to your relay to activate it

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks, i was asking Glovemeister if he had a relay set up. I know painless wiring makes a nice universal relay set up. A relay set up would be cheaper, but i am starting to like the way LEDs look, not sure which way i may go now. I will be installing the led high power reverse lights though, with my window tint it is difficult to see backing up at night. Nothing special needed for those, right?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No sir, I just run stock head lights and tail lights in my flat bed. No relay setup in either, unfortunately. I really need one for the headlights as I am sure it really hurts my headlight switch to run all that through it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
spool up that turbo!!

LEDs are way brighter last longer and look better in my opinion

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cml390 View Post
The light sockets look like a direct fit for the LED. Is there anything special I need to do? I have heard that some vehicles need a resistor so the flasher functions properly. On the OBS i dont think it would be an issue. I tried to search for a previous thread, if there is one can somebody point me in the right direction?
Yep there are LED replacements for almost all the different types of bulbs out there and lots of colors to choose from. The smaller bulb sizes, 921/922/194/912/161, are the same prong different glass bulb size. For the most part all interchangeable once you go LED. This also goes for the bulb in an aftermarket gauge. I have started running the cheaper Chinese ones off EBay as they are a lot brighter and last longer then the American made ones. They were also the first ones that you could use that have the resistors built in. DON'T BUY RECON LEDS (want a good laugh? type recon.com instead of gorecon.com ). Utter crap, where the dimmest that I've used and half of them ether came dead or lasted at most two weeks (and expensive at that). You will need duel mode LED's and the resistor (ether built in or separate) for the 4 turning/flashing LED's. Otherwise the remaining energy back-burns to the 3rd brake light causing it to light up when you want to change lanes and plays tricks on the overdrive/electric trailer brakes thinking that your stepping on the brake. These are kinda old pictures and I don't have any on me to show all the rest. Tip, they only work in one direction.

Dome light up close

Rear Brake up close

Rear farther away
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
No sir, I just run stock head lights and tail lights in my flat bed. No relay setup in either, unfortunately. I really need one for the headlights as I am sure it really hurts my headlight switch to run all that through it.
LMC (as well as others) sells HD wiring harness for our headlights to allow more energy to flow to the headlight bulbs and takes them off the dash running lights switch

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.