Any option other then cutting the door out.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any option other then cutting the door out....

So my driver side door had an issue a while back. I could unlock the door fine with the key from the outside but the power lock switch in the cab wouldnt always pop the lock so I would just pop it with the inside door handle.....until one day the handle busted off in my freaking hand and now the outside key cylinder just spins out with no action at all....door hasnt opened in a couple months and ive got to get it fixed. One problem is there is one door panel screw that is trapped by the dash and i cant remove it to get inside the door....anybody got any thoughts on this so I dont have to track down a new replacement door and torch the old one off....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekfreak View Post
So my driver side door had an issue a while back. I could unlock the door fine with the key from the outside but the power lock switch in the cab wouldnt always pop the lock so I would just pop it with the inside door handle.....until one day the handle busted off in my freaking hand and now the outside key cylinder just spins out with no action at all....door hasnt opened in a couple months and ive got to get it fixed. One problem is there is one door panel screw that is trapped by the dash and i cant remove it to get inside the door....anybody got any thoughts on this so I dont have to track down a new replacement door and torch the old one off....
My rear left did the same thing. I ended up pulling the seat and popping the panel.

For this front one I would suggest getting all the screws you can. Then try and pry the panel off. A panel is cheaper than a door, but I surmise you can get it pried up enough to reach in and pull on the linkages until they pop.

I am not sure of a fix for this, but my back left still sometimes get stuck shut when I hit the locks.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM

you can change the inside handle with the door all together.. it is just one 8mil bolt.. i used a 1/4" deep well 8 mil socket and a extension. you have to kind of reach in and lift the mount bracket a little to line the socket on the bolt..it is just an inch inside of the door panel. after you get the door open, fix it before it gets stuck again.. if you have strong fingers you might be able to just reach in the door handle hole and lift the bracket the handle bolts to up.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could try poping the lock with a slim jim or something similar.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
You could try poping the lock with a slim jim or something similar.
The lock is completely stuck, as in given 'er everything with a pair of vice grips wont pop it. There has to be something jamming it up in there. Ive peered down inside and nothing seems really out of the ordinary....
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've recently had the pleasure in dealing with this problem too. It's not fun.

I had to remove the screws other than the trapped one and reach inside there to break the plastic clip holding the lock linkage together on the door latch inside. Then you can get the door to open by putting a new handle on. The latch is sold at the dealer for like $35 or so I believe with all applicable linkage.

You don't even wanna know how much they wanted for a new door panel at the dealer
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.34ever View Post
I've recently had the pleasure in dealing with this problem too. It's not fun.

I had to remove the screws other than the trapped one and reach inside there to break the plastic clip holding the lock linkage together on the door latch inside. Then you can get the door to open by putting a new handle on. The latch is sold at the dealer for like $35 or so I believe with all applicable linkage.

You don't even wanna know how much they wanted for a new door panel at the dealer
Are you talking about that little white clip in there? Maybe triangle shaped of something?
Break it and it will free the mechanism? effing aye......
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM

You need to reach in your door and push and pull on your linkage? I tried everything and when I got my hand inside there and messed around it worked. It was jammed up tighter than hell too.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I had this problem on our 92 work truck. When I reached inside trying to operate the linkage by hand I broke the plastic clip on accident that connects the upper linkage to the latch. When that happened it freed up the inside door handle and latch to work properly. On ours you could not open the door from the inside or outside and it was stuck in the locked position. Broke door handle off inside bla bla bla..... BREAK THE CLIP. lol
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Sweet, broke the clip with only minimal damage to my forearms and wahlah, the door opens! effin aye...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.