Reverse lights don't work but brake lights do. Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
94-98 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse lights don't work but brake lights do. Why?

Like the title says, I have brake and turn signal lights working. But my reverse lights aren't. I replaced the bulbs, I haven't seen any fuses blown in the cab fuse box. Unless the reverse light fuse is in the engine compartment, which in that case I have not idea what fuse in there goes to what.

So given all that where else can I start debugging this issue? Anyone have any ideas why they aren't coming on.

By the way, it's a 96 F250 CCSB 5spd manual PSD if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM
spool up that turbo!!

there should be a sensor on the passenger side of trans with a 2 prong plug check it for power and make sure the truck is in reverse when you check i have tried without it in gear before haha
Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollister25073 View Post
there should be a sensor on the passenger side of trans with a 2 prong plug check it for power and make sure the truck is in reverse when you check i have tried without it in gear before haha
Thanks, hollister25073. This question I am about to ask should be bumped to a noob thread so beware. I have seen solutions for various electrical issues on the boards like yours that suggest checking for power. How exactly do I do that. I bought a circuit tester (sharp pointed tool with a cord that terminates to an alligator clip) only because people talked about them. But I'll be darned, I don't how to use it Is that what I use and if so how and if not then what?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrotherx View Post
Thanks, hollister25073. This question I am about to ask should be bumped to a noob thread so beware. I have seen solutions for various electrical issues on the boards like yours that suggest checking for power. How exactly do I do that. I bought a circuit tester (sharp pointed tool with a cord that terminates to an alligator clip) only because people talked about them. But I'll be darned, I don't how to use it Is that what I use and if so how and if not then what?
Those sensors rarely go bad just get a light tester put the ground on the the frame and stick the pointed end on the terminals and see if she lights up

The sensor is just a spring that slides over when put in reverse and opens the circuit back to the lights and comes on in my experience the sensor just spins loose in the casting and the spring can't be compressed to open the circuit
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollister25073 View Post
Those sensors rarely go bad just get a light tester put the ground on the the frame and stick the pointed end on the terminals and see if she lights up

The sensor is just a spring that slides over when put in reverse and opens the circuit back to the lights and comes on in my experience the sensor just spins loose in the casting and the spring can't be compressed to open the circuit
Ah, that sounds easy enough. So what 's the situation where I have read (or maybe simply misread) where the alligator clip goes on the battery neutral and then the pointer end touches the pin or connector. For example, trouble shooting the clearance light harness in the passenger side kick panel to determine power getting to it. Getting off topic here .... sorry.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Some testers have clips but most have sharp points and any ground will work frame is usually easiest to get too
Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hollista, you're a gentleman and a scholar. nice work helpin a brotha out
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrotherx View Post
The Sharp pointy end, stab the wire with, the alligator clip, just clip it to the frame or body, if it lights up you have power, try poking a wire you know would have power to make sure it works and lights up, then test your wire on the reverse switch
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.34ever View Post
hollista, you're a gentleman and a scholar. nice work helpin a brotha out
i just hate wiring so anything i can do to help i can haha
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 AM

This is great information! I hate wiring, too. The wires on this truck are so dirty, I can't even see the color codes to know what wire terminates where. I spend more than half the time cleaning the wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.